Look up / list help

EmmaF232

Name Manager
Agent 12WANT THIS TO POPULATE AUTOMATICALLY BASED ON NAME
Agent 45

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Ok Will try my best to explain this one but you help would be apreciated,

I want people to be able to choose an agent name then the Manager Cell will populate automatically based on the agent
I have a sheet with a list of all 200 agents and 20 Managers and in a list of who is on whos team team etc

For example

Joe Bloggs (Manager)John Smith (manager)
Agent 4Agent 22
Agent 67Agent 134

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

What formular do i need so that the manager is returned when an agent name is entered

Many thanks look forward you responses

Emma

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Where is the list of managers and their staff (worksheet name and range address) and where is the table that you want to populate (worksheet name and range address)?

Upvote 0
I think that the format may be a bit tricky for formulae (still easy to do with VBA if you wanted a macro). If you are able to reformat your data it would be an easy Vlookup. If you set out a single list of Agent | Manager in 2 columns you could use
=Vlookup("agent name",A$1:B$200,2,False)

Upvote 0
Emma
This array formula may do the trick:

{=IFERROR(INDEX(B$19:B$99,SMALL(IF($B$19:$B$99=$J$18,ROW(B$19:B$99)-18),ROW(B1))),"")}

This allows you to find instances of a search value in a separate table, and extract other detail from the matching entries (Like a database search). Its status as an array formula is indicated by the curly braces around the formula. You can't type these in directly - you have to complete the formula and then press Control+Shift+Enter to get Excel to put them in for you. Also, you need to repeat this each time you edit the formula.
Ive produced an example that gets employee data from a larger table based on a drop down selection in cell J18

Sorry I cant find a way to upload the example.

HTH
Hercules

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How did you manage that with vertical lists?

Yes used a vertical list and vlook up, the only thing i would ask not is if i am dragging the formular down is tere any way to stop is from returnin #N/A where an agent name has not been selected yet as it is going to be a sheet where people go in and fill in information against the agent

Thanks

Upvote 0
If you add the IFERROR function to Teeroys formula, this will not report the #N/A:

=IFERROR(Vlookup("agent name",A$1:B$200,2,False),"")

Youll need Excel 2007 or later. The older IF(ISERROR( works as well, but you have to put the formula in twice, which is a bit of a pain.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back