look up list

medic63

How do i set up a worksheet to lookup a list of names from sheet 2 so I can enter a number on the page 1 worksheet that matches a name on sheet 2. I am an not excel gifted and have tried to use vlookup formula but am doing somthing wrong because i cant get the pages to link.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
If your lookup data is in sheet2, try to first name the data range, then use the name in the lookup function in sheet1.

Upvote 0
Here is an example (Range in yellow named "List") using the Named range like suggested above. Also, you can use the Format in B4 to refer to a range on another sheet.
Book1
ABCDE
11Smith
22Jones2Jones
33Brown
43Brown4Thomas

This message was edited by lenze on 2002-10-08 17:15

Upvote 0
So if your lookup range is sheet2, A1:B20 and matching sheet1 D12 to col A to return value from col B, returning value on sheet1 E12, the try:

name the range A1:B20 from sheet2 - happy
in sheet1 E12 enter:
Vlookup(D12,happy,2,FALSE)

see if it works for you

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-08 17:07, medic63 wrote:
How do i set up a worksheet to lookup a list of names from sheet 2 so I can enter a number on the page 1 worksheet that matches a name on sheet 2. I am an not excel gifted and have tried to use vlookup formula but am doing somthing wrong because i cant get the pages to link.

Hi medic63 - the best solution is to name the list you have on sheet 2 ie highlight the list and in the name box (to the left of the formula bar) enter a range name eg namelist. On sheet 1 if you enter a number in cell A2 your formula in cell A3 would read =vlookup(A2,namelist,2,false). I am assuming that the first column is numbers, the second is names. Let us know if this doesn't work.

Upvote 0
OK now that that worked next question is.. how do I set up the cells to remain blank when the cell for the look-up number is empty right now it shows a #N/A

second... is there a way the cells that hold the formula can be protected so the formula cannot be wiped out, the protection option seems to be for the whole worksheet

Upvote 0
To prevent the N/A us =IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",VLOOKUP(A1,yourRange,2,0)

The protection works for cells that are locked. By default, all cells are locked. To protect the sheet and allow entry in selected cells, unlock those cells (Format>Cells>Protection Tab) before protecting the worksheet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back