Looking for a formula (non-VBA method) to extract only non-blank values to a new column

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
See attached image. I frequently have columns of data like col A (of 10,000 rows or more), and I want to generate the output shown in col B. (i.e. shift all of the actual, non-blank / non-null values to the top). I currently resort to a helper column like I show in column E, which evaluates the length of the input cells, and then I would use a simple INDEX/MATCH function in col F.

What I want, however, is a single formula I could paste in cells B2-B17 that would generate the output shown. I want to do this with a FORMULA, not any VBA code, but I'm stumped...

EDIT: Am hoping to find a non-array-formula-based solution to this (since for some reason arrays seem to bloat / crash my already large/volatile file...I found some pages that purport to have array-based suggestions, but hoping this is possible without...)

**EXCEL 2007

h1U74CV.jpg

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

1643107138214.png

Upvote 0
For xl2007 I think you will have to stick with your helper column approach, or use a CSE formula. If you had a slightly newer version it would be possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back