Looking for Comprehensive List of Menu Commands Rather than Just the Shortcuts

Alex20850

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have found hundreds of Shorcuts like Ctrl+S for Excel 2010, but I have not been able to find a list at Microsoft for menu commands. In the case of Ctrl+S, a menu command would be Alt,F,S. I know people call them all shortcuts, but in my point of view, a shortcut is one key combination with no pause between the parts like Ctrl+S, but a menu command is something that can be done with a pause like Alt <pause> F <pause> S.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I'm not sure I understand what you want. Do you want a list of all ribbon commands? How far down the menu tree did you hope to see listed? I don't think a published list exists.

The best suggestion I can come up with is to go to File >> Options >> Customize Ribbon. In the 'Choose commands from:' dropdown box, select 'All Tabs'. Then, in the window immediately below the dropdown, start expanding the lists by clicking on the small plus sign icons. You may be surprised at the total number of commands available from the ribbon.

The default ribbon commands change with Excel major version, 2007, 2010, 2013, etc., and with the subversion, Home and Student, Stand alone, Professional, etc., and probably with the Microsoft region. Apple versions are different from PCs. Some ribbon sub-commands, I'm thinking the Print commands, may depend on hardware or hardware drivers. I imagine the menu displays and commands are contained and accessed through different software libraries. I would not want to be tasked with compiling the list.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response Yes, that would be another term for what I called menu commands. I should really call them keyboard commands because they are not mouse commands.

I did find large lists of the menu commands at KeyRocket Keyboard Shortcut Database, but I don't think they are comprehensive since there are so many commands at File >> Options >> Customize Ribbon. I am not blind but I used to have people with disabilities in my PC software classes and simple-to-non-disabled can be walls to them. I was shocked when I went to microsoft.com and even the site for the disabled has very few keyboard commands.

Once again, thanks,
Alex

Upvote 0
Perhaps contacting the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk directly would be helpful, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/answerdesk/accessibility

I have contacted three times, twice by chat and once by phone. They just aren't familiar with keyboard commands. If you search for Excel keyboard commands, you get Excel keyboard shortcuts and function keys at
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...2b8-9c99-9b7213f0040f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

The only Alt commands for the ribbon are the following:
To do this
Press
Open the Tell me box on the Ribbon and type a search term for assistance or Help content.
Alt+Q, and then enter the search term.
Open the File page and use Backstage view.
Alt+F
Open the Home tab and format text and numbers and use the Find tool.
Alt+H
Open the Insert tab and insert PivotTables, charts, add-ins, Sparklines, pictures, shapes, headers, or text boxes.
Alt+N
Open the Page Layout tab and work with themes, page setup, scale, and alignment.
Alt+P
Open the Formulas tab and insert, trace, and customize functions and calculations.
Alt+M
Open the Data tab and connect to, sort, filter, analyze, and work with data.
Alt+A
Open the Review tab and check spelling, add comments, and protect sheets and workbooks.
Alt+R
Open the View tab and preview page breaks and layouts, show and hide gridlines and headings, set zoom magnification, manage windows and panes, and view macros.
Alt+W

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
There is a reason why the Alt+ shortcuts are not listed—Alt+ shortcuts are not dependable. They are dynamic, changing with the window size and they can even become inoperative.

With an Excel 2013 window fully expanded horizontally on my screen (1280x1024), the shortcut to autofit the column width is:
Alt > H > O > I.

With the window at half the horizontal width, where the ribbon tab labels are starting to truncate, the shortcut is:
Alt > H > Z > C > O > I.

At some point, with a very narrow window, but where the ribbon labels are still visible, I cannot reach the column autofit formatting options without using the mouse. I select the home tab with Alt > H, but the options I need are off to the right. There is a scroll button to enable access to the menu items but I am unable, so far, to activate the scrolling action using just the keyboard.

The Excel window can be narrowed to where the ribbon disappears. When you reach this point, the Alt ribbon shortcuts do absolutely nothing. The user still has some mouseless options available: the Ctrl+ shortcuts work and the Menu button, between the right-hand Alt and Ctrl buttons on my US keyboard, still brings up the right-click menu.

Upvote 0
for the example of autofit column use ALT-O-C-A

I don't use a mouse much & operate Excel without any ribbons. Learnt the keystrokes in earlier versions & still use them. So, excel 2003 & earlier

maybe the keystrokes are listed somewhere for Excel 2003? suggest googling

regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back