Looking for guidance on how to approach an excel project

emma313823

Hi All

I'm not a programmer, so if you could please address from that perspective it would be appreciated.

I have the need to clean up sales data provided by several of our principal customers. The data can easily be put into a template type format file - meaning specific column related structure.

Customers are reported in a variety of ways - ie ACB Company, ABC co., ABC Inc...and I want to find a way to create something that would allow me to take all these customer variations and roll them up under one primary customer name. Right now we have a customer tool which does this, but it is going away. I believe the tool was written in VBA, so have no idea how that tool does what it does.

Additionally, to making customer name resolution changes, we also have the next step, which would be to ensure that the appropriate salesperson has the correct accounts assigned to them. The one unique identifier is a customer ID per customer, however there are multiple lines of sales data for each customer ID.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to tackle this project? Because I do not have the programming experience, it may be if this is beyond my scope of knowledge that we acquire the skills of someone who can do this.

Emma

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I would recommend trying to fix the data at the source. The problem you mention has to due with data integrity. It's extremely problematic to refer to customers the way you mention:
ie ACB Company, ABC co., ABC Inc

I have fixed things like this in the past by using VBA that finds and replaces values in an effort to standardize the values......

If you do not have any programming background this could prove difficult but not impossible. You could potentially build a lookup table and use Vlookups + Copy and Paste Values to do the same thing I mentioned. For Example:

Excel 2010
AB
1Junk DataStandard
2ABC IncABC Company
3ABC Inc.ABC Company
4ABC CompanyABC Company
5ABC IncorporatedABC Company
6ABC LtdABC Company
LookupTable

Excel 2010
AB
1ABC IncABC Company
2ABC Inc.ABC Company
3ABC CompanyABC Company
4ABC IncorporatedABC Company
5ABC LtdABC Company
6ABC IncABC Company
7ABC Inc.ABC Company
8ABC CompanyABC Company
9ABC IncorporatedABC Company
10ABC LtdABC Company
11ABC IncABC Company
12ABC Inc.ABC Company
13ABC CompanyABC Company
14ABC IncorporatedABC Company
15ABC LtdABC Company
16ABC IncABC Company
17ABC Inc.ABC Company
18ABC CompanyABC Company
19ABC IncorporatedABC Company
20ABC LtdABC Company
Your Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=VLOOKUP(A1,LookupTable!$A$1:$B$6,2,FALSE)

After you have standardized the company names then you could do better analyses.
Additionally, to making customer name resolution changes, we also have the next step, which would be to ensure that the appropriate salesperson has the correct accounts assigned to them. The one unique identifier is a customer ID per customer, however there are multiple lines of sales data for each customer ID.

Similarly, you could create a lookup table for Sales Reps use this to ensure the actual output corresponds to your correct lookup table....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back