Looking for guidance with a fairly complex (to me anyways) transportation cost estimating workbook.

dwmlr

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just like the title says, I need some guidance with this project.

I am part of a very small transport company and am trying to make a workbook that I can input parameters into and it will spit out a dollar amount that it would cost my potential customer.

Below are my 8 input fields and the cost is what I'm trying to get filled in.

ABCCEFGHI
R/T MilesStopQtyWeightLiftgateRoute TypeVehicle TypeWait TimeCost

<tbody>
</tbody>

R/T Miles: =Round Trip Miles; total route miles.
Stop: = Number of stops that the vehicle will be making. This will be $9.00 per stop.
Qty: = Number of packages, pallets.
Weight: =Total weight of all items. First 50 lbs are not charged. There will be a charge of $5 for every 50 lbs over the initial 50 lbs.
Liftgate: = Is the liftgate on the truck required. If it's required, then a charge of $25 will be added.
Route Type: = Routed($10), STAT($50), 2-4 hours($45), 4-6 hours($40), 6-8 hours($35), 12 hours($30), 24 hours($25). Anything over 24 hours will not have an additional charge.
Vehicle Type: = Based on the vehicle type, the per mile charge will be; Car(.85), Mini van(.95), cargo van(1.15), sprinter van(1.25), small pickup(1.35), full size pickup(1.45), straight truck(1.70).
Wait Time: = Amount we will charge if we have to wait over a predetermined grace period. First 10 minutes are free. After that it will be $3 for every 5 minutes we have to wait.
And then, after all of that has been calculated, there will be a FSC (Fuel Surcharge) added to the total. It will be a percent based off the national average for the fuel type used by the vehicle that has done/is doing the delivery.

I have tried to use multi-ifs and vlookups, but have thus far been unsuccessful. I'm using Office 2016 and running Windows 7.

So, I hope that you will not beat me up too bad over not being able to figure this out on my own. :)

I can't attach the workbook that I have to this forum for some reason?, so I can email it to whoever thinks they can help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and hopefully offer me some help.

Doug

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Although this would be easier with a series of lookup tables, the below formula has everything you've asked for (apart from the fuel surcharge because you haven't explained how it's calculated)...

Sheet1

*ABCDEFGHI
1R/TStopQtyWeightLiftgateRoute TypeVehicle TypeWait TimeCost
2103*250YesSTATMini van30143.5

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:97px;"><col style="width:81.5px;"><col style="width:68px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
I2=([Stop]*9)
+(MAX(ROUNDUP(([Weight]-50)/50,0),0)*5)
+IF([Liftgate]="Yes",25,0)
+IFERROR(LOOKUP([Route Type],{"Routed","STAT",0,4,6,8,12,24},{10,50,45,40,35,30,25}),25)
+([R/T]*LOOKUP([Vehicle Type],{"Car","Mini van","Cargo van","Sprinter van","Small pickup","Full size pickup","Straight truck"},{0.85,0.95,1.15,1.25,1.35,1.45,1.7}))
+MAX(ROUNDUP(([Wait Time]-10)/5,0),0)*3

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Thank you for taking the time to read my post LiveInHope. After giving that some thought, I'm going to say let's take it out of the equation.

Doug

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply njimack. I have all of the parameters listed on separate sheets with named ranges. Would it help you to help me if I sent it to you or put it on my OneDrive?

Doug

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back