Looking for help with combinations problem in Excel 07

fantasyfootballguy

Hello,

I have a fairly complex (to me at least) problem that I am working on and I'm fairly certain there are ways to have excel do the work for me, but I'm a novice and don't know how to go about it. What I am trying to do is list all the possible combinations (or maybe permutations, I'm not entirely clear on the difference) of 8 items (QB, QB2, WR, WR2, WR3, RB, RB2, RB3). I have searched around on the board, and found many threads of people looking for similar solutions, but none with the specific parameters I have.

The 8 items are 8 different positions picked in a fantasy football draft in rounds 1-8. So it is 2 quarterbacks, and 3 each of wide receivers and running backs. So what I am looking to do is first list out all of the possible orders that these positions could be selected. Then assign values to each position within certain rounds in the draft (for example, the QBs available in round 1 are worth an average of 350 pts, while WRs in round 1 are worth on average 250 pts). Using if/then formulas I can have excel compute the potential total value for each possible order of draft selections and there-by determine the best order to draft these positions. The second part (the if/then part) I know how to do, but I don't know how to have excel generate the combinations for me.

So essentially what I am looking for is to find a way to have excel generate all the potential combinations of those 8 selections but any formula would need to have rules in place so that the 2nd or 3rd selection of a position always comes after the 1st or 2nd. For example below is an example of a possible option and an option that is not needed-

Acceptable-
QB, QB2, WR, WR2, WR3, RB, RB2, RB3

Not necessary-
QB2, QB, WR3, WR2, WR, RB3, RB2, RB

It's not necessary because it is actually the same order of picks. In the second instance QB2 is actually just QB and QB is really QB2. (Maybe it would be clearer if I didn't have the numbers there, but hopefully that makes sense.)

I know in the grand scheme of things fantasy football is probably a lot less important than most of the other problems people need help with on here, but having done some preliminary research I think one of the more widely held theories among experts in the game is actually off base, and being able to examine this statistically would really help me to know if my hunch is correct.

I would appreciate any insight you could offer.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Sorry to bump again, but if someone could at least tell me if this is possible to do with excel, or if I should just give up on the idea and work on another method, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back