Looking for help with lookups -- I think

VRM

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Folks,
First, thank you for the assistance. This forum is invaluable.

I have 2 workbooks. In workbook A I have one entry per RecID. In workbook B, I have multiple entries per RecID.
I need to see the entry from workbook A and all associated entries from workbook B.
And, I know NOTHING about lookups other than they seem to be the approach I need to take.
I am open to suggestions as to approach.

Again, thanks.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
You could work backwards and do a vlookup from workbook B to workbook A, then once complete, sort workbook B by the vlookup column (from workbook A) to get all associated RecIds in workbook A. Also if you know there may be RecId's in workbook A without RecIDs in workbook B you could do a vlookup from A to B and any #N/A's would not be in B.

Upvote 0
Hi Folks,

When I put in my function
Excel Formula:
=VLOOKUP(A2,ContestPhoto!A:B,2,FALSE)
, I get #N/A
My worksheet has multiple columns, the vlookup formula is in column K, but I get a caution tag in column J that reads, "A value is not available to the formula or function."
As I have stated, I know nothing about vlookups.
Do columns containing the formula need be in a certain location?
My worksheet goes from A to J, so I put the formula in column K.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
If the value in column A (cell A2) is the RecID, then your column A in "Contest Photo" should also be the RecID column - if it isn't then you need to update your vlookup to ensure the RecID column is the first column of your reference to the "ContestPhoto" tab. The way your formula appears now, you are looking up on column A, but pulling in the data in column B of "ContestPhoto" without having a visual understanding of your workbooks, I can't tell if this is what you are trying to do or not. If column B is the RecID column, you just need to update your formula to =VLOOKUP(A2,ContestPhoto!B:B,1,FALSE)

Upvote 0
If the value in column A (cell A2) is the RecID, then your column A in "Contest Photo" should also be the RecID column - if it isn't then you need to update your vlookup to ensure the RecID column is the first column of your reference to the "ContestPhoto" tab. The way your formula appears now, you are looking up on column A, but pulling in the data in column B of "ContestPhoto" without having a visual understanding of your workbooks, I can't tell if this is what you are trying to do or not. If column B is the RecID column, you just need to update your formula to =VLOOKUP(A2,ContestPhoto!B:B,1,FALSE)

I found that the "linking" column must be the left most column in the range or table.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moo4247

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back