Looking to build a graph from a small table. Curious if what I'm looking to do is possible.

figuare9

Board Regular
Imagine you have a very long roll of material, (Rolled up like a big spool) and out of that material, you cut sections of material out of it.

For an example, we're dealing with a 72" wide piece that's 1000' Feet long.

If you were to never cut anything from it, and look at it as if it was "unrolled" it would look something like this..

However, if you started to cut pieces from it, it would start to look something like this..

(Let's say this is the cutting table)

Now.. The width won't always be 72 Inch. Sometimes we could have material that's no more then 24 inches wide, or 36 inches wide. etc.

Is there anyway that excel can build a graph for this that would update based on the table (Second pic) that could make it look like the example pictures? Any way to "Visualize" the pieces cut from the roll? The example pictures are definitely not scaled correctly, so you'll have to use your imagination a little bit there :)

Last edited:

figuare9

Board Regular
A tree map is close, but I can't seem to figure out how to "customize" it, or create a similar graph.. After googling this, I'm definitely not any closer. I assume it's possible, but I certainly can't seem to find anything like this.

Petronella

Not sure if this is what you are after but the basic idea may be what you want?.

Create a table from your data, one row for each metre (maybe using a macro)....

0 72
1 72
2 72
... ...
675 72
676 42
677 42
etc

From this new table create a bar chart with no space between each bar so that all the "72s" eg will look like a single block of colour. By stretching and shrinking the graph you should be able to represent your long piece of cloth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MSBINinja

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...