Looking to build a graph from a small table. Curious if what I'm looking to do is possible.

figuare9

Board Regular
Imagine you have a very long roll of material, (Rolled up like a big spool) and out of that material, you cut sections of material out of it.

For an example, we're dealing with a 72" wide piece that's 1000' Feet long.

If you were to never cut anything from it, and look at it as if it was "unrolled" it would look something like this..

f8Dizc4.png

However, if you started to cut pieces from it, it would start to look something like this..

(Let's say this is the cutting table)

9EfsA6u.png

sq0S5Bg.png

Now.. The width won't always be 72 Inch. Sometimes we could have material that's no more then 24 inches wide, or 36 inches wide. etc.

Is there anyway that excel can build a graph for this that would update based on the table (Second pic) that could make it look like the example pictures? Any way to "Visualize" the pieces cut from the roll? The example pictures are definitely not scaled correctly, so you'll have to use your imagination a little bit there :)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
A tree map is close, but I can't seem to figure out how to "customize" it, or create a similar graph.. After googling this, I'm definitely not any closer. I assume it's possible, but I certainly can't seem to find anything like this.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is what you are after but the basic idea may be what you want?.

Create a table from your data, one row for each metre (maybe using a macro)....

0 72
1 72
2 72
... ...
675 72
676 42
677 42
etc

From this new table create a bar chart with no space between each bar so that all the "72s" eg will look like a single block of colour. By stretching and shrinking the graph you should be able to represent your long piece of cloth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back