Looking to place balances from other tabs on a summary tab

touque

Board Regular
I have a work book that has over 200 tabs. The summary tab has all 200+ members listed with their balances. The balances are found on the same cell of the other 200+ tabs.
Each tab is titled as each member which is the same as column A on the suammary tab.
is there a function I can use so function will use the tab named the same as the name in column A?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Assuming you have your sheet names in Column A of Summary Tab and you want the Balance in column B of Summary Tab. And the balance on each sheet is in Range("A1")
Try this.
Put formula in Summary Tab Range("B1") and then drag down

=INDIRECT(A1&"!A1")

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply and yes the names on the summary page are in column A but the balances are in column E on the summary tab. And the balance on each of the other sheets are in cell I2.
With that being said I entered the formula this way in cell E2 (E1 is part of the merged title cell).

=INDIRECT(A1&"!I2")

It did not work for me so I may have done it incorrectly but I am thinking I may have not properly explained my scenario. I wish I could simply paste a view (a picture is worth a thousand words!).
Maybe another way to explain what I need is a VLOOKUP but slightly different.
The LOOKUP VALUE would be the same.
The TABLE ARRAY would not be a range of cells but a range of worksheets or tabs (what I call them).
And the COLUMN INDEX NUM would not be the number of rows to the right but the actual cell.

Is there such a beast of a formula?

Upvote 0
Well then I'm not able to help you.

I know how to use Indirect

You could has tried my formula the way I described and see if it did what you want.
If it worked the way you wanted then you could modify it to your needs.

In you original post you did not provide exact details so I just did the best I could and figured you could modify it.

I'm not familiar with Vlookup.

Not sure why you think you need Vlookup but you must be more familiar with this then me.

This is now beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back