Looking to split a large excel file by rows and keep the header

flyguy

Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to split up an excel file that has multiple lines, I want to break this into groups of 500 lines and retain the original header info for each file. This file will always have the same header just different amount of lines each time. Is this possible to do with a macro/vba. I have no real experience with macros for programming. It would be great if it could auto save as file1-file2 etc. file name does not matter. Just breaking apart manually is time consuming and looking to see if it can be automated.
The file starts as a .csv and needs to be converted to an .xls

Thank you for your assistance.

did that and get compile error and Sub flyguy() is yellow
Sub flyguy()

Dim ACS As Range, Z As Long, New_WB As Workbook, B As Long, _
Any error messages about an ambiguous name?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Any error messages about an ambiguous name?
There was not. I hate to take up any more of your time and am grateful for what you have supplied.
I can work with the original code that you supplied.
Have a safe and Happy New Year.

Upvote 0
Make the worksheet with the data the active sheet and run this. It should save to the same path as the csv.
VBA Code:
Sub flyguy()

Dim ACS As Range, Z As Long, New_WB As Workbook, _
Total_Columns As Long, Start_Row As Long, Stop_Row As Long, Copied_Range As Range

Dim Headers() As Variant

Set ACS = ActiveSheet.UsedRange

With ACS

Headers = .Rows(1).Value
    Total_Columns = .Columns.Count

End With

Start_Row = 2

Do While Stop_Row <= ACS.Rows.Count

Z = Z + 1

If Z > 1 Then Start_Row = Stop_Row + 1

Stop_Row = Start_Row + 499

With ACS.Rows
        If Stop_Row > .Count Then Stop_Row = .Count
    End With

With ACS
        Set Copied_Range = .Range(.Cells(Start_Row, 1), .Cells(Stop_Row, Total_Columns))
    End With

Set New_WB = Workbooks.Add

With New_WB

With .Worksheets(1)
            .Cells(1, 1).Resize(1, Total_Columns) = Headers
            .Cells(2, 1).Resize(Copied_Range.Rows.Count, Total_Columns) = Copied_Range.Value
        End With

.SaveAs ACS.Parent.Parent.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "file-" & Z & ".xls", FileFormat:=-4143
       .Close

End With

If Stop_Row = ACS.Rows.Count Then Exit Do

Loop

End Sub
This code works in what I want too, bye the way, if I would like to save file in .csv (xlCSVUTF8) File Format = 62 if refer to this link (XlFileFormat enumeration (Excel))
But it shown error as image attached, may I know how to solve it?

Upvote 0
Change ".xls" in the .saveas line to ".csv"
I do have change to ".csv" and remain the "FileFormat:=-4143", it is ok to save in CSV file but a normal CSV file.
Then I also change to ".csv" and change the FileFormat to "FileFormat:=62", it shown error as below
1641793588657.png

The way can work for me now is like that:
first step : use the original code given and just did a minor change from ".xls" to ".csv"
second step : after done the VBA above, I change the code from the "FileFormat:=-4143" to "xlCSVUTF8", then it becomes the file format which I want.

Anyway to merge the 2-steps above into one for saving time?

*my main purpose is to save the my file into .csv (xlCSVUTF8 format) as photo below, not the normal CSV file
1641793921779.png

Upvote 0
I do have change to ".csv" and remain the "FileFormat:=-4143", it is ok to save in CSV file but a normal CSV file.
Then I also change to ".csv" and change the FileFormat to "FileFormat:=62", it shown error as below
View attachment 54847

first step : use the original code given and just did a minor change from ".xls" to ".csv"
second step : after done the VBA above, I change the code from the "FileFormat:=-4143" to "xlCSVUTF8", then it becomes the file format which I want.

*my main purpose is to save the my file into .csv (xlCSVUTF8 format) as photo below, not the normal CSV file
View attachment 54848
View attachment 54847

View attachment 54848
So you want this?
VBA Code:
       .SaveAs ACS.Parent.Parent.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "file-" & Z & ".csv", FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8

Upvote 0
So you want this?
VBA Code:
       .SaveAs ACS.Parent.Parent.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "file-" & Z & ".csv", FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8
Yes, theoretically yes, both ".csv", & "FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8" are what I want.
I did use this coding just now, but failed too, same error code
1641794873899.png

1641794895453.png

I am using excel version as below:
1641794970941.png

Upvote 0
Yes, theoretically yes, both ".csv", & "FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8" are what I want.
I did use this coding just now, but failed too, same error code
View attachment 54850
View attachment 54851

I am using excel version as below:
View attachment 54852
It looks like only a partially automatic approach is viable on MACs.

I don't have access to a MAC to test on but based on the link above I'd suggest running the following code as is and if it doesn't work then un-comment the application.getsaveasfilename line (In this case you may have to manually select the file type)

VBA Code:
Sub flyguy()

Dim ACS As Range, Z As Long, New_WB As Workbook, _
Total_Columns As Long, Start_Row As Long, Stop_Row As Long, Copied_Range As Range, file_name As String, file_access As Variant

Dim Headers() As Variant

Set ACS = ActiveSheet.UsedRange

With ACS
    Headers = .Rows(1).value
    Total_Columns = .Columns.Count
End With

Start_Row = 2

file_access = GrantAccessToMultipleFiles(Array(ThisWorkbook.Path))

Do While Stop_Row <= ACS.Rows.Count

Z = Z + 1

If Z > 1 Then Start_Row = Stop_Row + 1

Stop_Row = Start_Row + 499

With ACS.Rows
        If Stop_Row > .Count Then Stop_Row = .Count
    End With

With ACS
        Set Copied_Range = .Range(.Cells(Start_Row, 1), .Cells(Stop_Row, Total_Columns))
    End With

Set New_WB = Workbooks.Add

With New_WB

With .Worksheets(1)
            .Cells(1, 1).Resize(1, Total_Columns) = Headers
            .Cells(2, 1).Resize(Copied_Range.Rows.Count, Total_Columns) = Copied_Range.value
        End With

file_name = ACS.Parent.Parent.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "file-" & Z & ".csv"

'file_name = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(file_name)

.SaveAs file_name, FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8
       .Close

End With

If Stop_Row = ACS.Rows.Count Then Exit Do

Loop

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello all - this code works like charm. But i do have following requirement and some challenges.

1) am planning to split thr files by 1 lakh records. I tried testing this formula for 7 lakh records and it's working like charm. But the issue is, its not working for a case when the rows are less than 1 lakh records. What happens is it splits the first file with available total records but then the file split still continues with header only. I am not sure where I went wrong. What i want is if the file records are less than 1 lakh, then the file split should be just one file.
2) I would want a button and provide user to select the file to split. Once the user selects the file, then the splitting of files by 1 lakh records happens

Can some please help..

I tried many places but not able to reach anywhere...

Please help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back