Lookup a value across multiple columns and post a value from the column header

wdgor

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The spreadsheet has multiple columns with headers. Each row has an answer to that column, i.e. "Yes", "NO", "Blank" or some other text. I want to test each row in the column for Yes" and put the column header in Column O as an "accumulator", i.e. if there is a "Yes" in column A, column O would have the column header "A" listed. If column B has a "Yes", column O would now have, "A,B". In the example, column O would look like A,B,C,D,F,H,M (comma separated).

I tried: =IF(A2="Yes",$A$1,IF(B2="Yes",$B$1,IF(C2="Yes",$C$1,IF(D2="Yes",$D$1,IF(E2="Yes",$E$1,IF(F2="Yes",$F$1,IF(G2="Yes",$G$1,IF(H2="Yes",$H$1,"")))))))) etc. but the formula just returned the first "Yes" value of A in column O and ignored all the other Yesses. I understand why that happened as the If statement found the first true value and posted it. I am not sure how to have it evaluate each value in row 2 and look for a "Yes" and take the value of the column header and comma delimit it in column O to get the A,B,C,D,F,H,M that represents each "Yes" with its corresponding column header. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
YesYesYesYesYesNoYesWindowsNoYes

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
not sure what version of excel you have - if the later version then
=TEXTJOIN(",",,FILTER(A1:N1,A2:N2="yes"))

Not sure for previous version of excel, can you update your profile with what version of excel you are using

Book5
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1ABCDEFGHIJKLMNResult
2YesYesYesYesYesNoYesWindowsNoYesA,B,C,D,F,H,M
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
P2P2=TEXTJOIN(",",,FILTER(A1:N1,A2:N2="yes"))

Upvote 0
Solution
I will update my profile as I am using 365.

Your solution worked perfectly with the TEXTJOIN. Thank you very much. I have used it in the past but didn't think to apply it to this issue. Helped a lot - thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back