Lookup and paste special on multiple sheets

coco803

I have a file with multiple sheets. Most of the sheets are named for states. I will import a worksheet monthly that has sales data that needs to be copied one line at a time and pasted to the correct company on the sheet that corresponds to the appropriate state. I want to do this by macro. Here is what my sheets look like...

Arkansas
A B
Comp1 $1000
Comp2 $2000

Louisiana
A B
Comp3 $500
Comp4 $1000

Sheet3 - Import
A B C
Comp1 AR $500
Comp3 LA $500
Comp2 AR $500

What I want is a macro that will read each line in Sheet3 and depending on the state in column B, copy/paste/special/add the value in column C to the amount in column B for the corresponding company on the sheet for that state. In other words I would like to see..

Arkansas
A B
Comp1 $1500
Comp2 $2500

Louisiana
A B
Comp3 $1000
Comp4 $1000

I am a pretty new at macros so I don't know how complicated this is. I don't really know where to start. I tried recording the macro but because of the lookups across several sheets, I am not having any luck. Can anyone at least show me some code for doing lookups while looping through the import data?

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Code:
For i = 2 To Sheets("sheet3").UsedRange.Rows.Count
    sname = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(i, 2), Range("d1:e99"), 2) 'find sheet name from table of abbreviations
    a = Sheets(sname).Range("a:a").Find(Cells(i, 1)).Address  ' find address of comp1 etc
    Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 1).Value = Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 1).Value + Cells(i, 3).Value  ' update value on sheet
Next

i had to make up a table of the state abbreviations to find the sheet names, i put this in range d1 to e99, but you can put in a separate sheet if you wish, just change the range to suit

Upvote 0
Thanks Westconn1!
I am getting some errors but I think I can work through them. I actually do have the state list in another sheet for lookup. It is a named range so I am trying to work that into the code. I will also probably need to add something for when it doesn't find the company. Probably OnError, right? At that point I would redirect to an AddNewCompany macro that is already working. I just need to figure out how to get back to the Import macro I started with. I am going to make an attempt to do this on my own but may be more than my skills allow.

Upvote 0
Okay, an hour and a half later I have made no progress. I get an error that says "unable to get the Vlookup property of the Worksheet Function class". The debugger hightlights the sname=WorksheetFunction line. The only changes I made were to replace the range address with a range name and I changed the lookup reference to Cells(i,4) because I moved the state abbreviations in Sheet3 to column 4. This is a copy of my code

For i = 2 To Sheets("Sheet3").UsedRange.Rows.Count
'find sheet name from table of abbreviations
sname = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(i, 4), Range("statelookup"), 2)
' find address of company
a = Sheets(sname).Range("a:a").Find(Cells(i, 1)).Address
' update value on sheet
Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 12).Value = Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 12).Value + Cells(i, 7).Value

Can you help me past this error?

Upvote 0
Yeah I did that. It still isn't working.

Dim i As Long
Dim sname As Worksheet

For i = 2 To Sheets("CapAmerica").UsedRange.Rows.Count
sname = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(cells(i, 4), Sheets("info").Range("statelookup"), 2, False)
On Error GoTo NewAccount
a = Sheets(sname).Range("a:a").Find(cells(i, 1)).Address
' update value on sheet
Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 12).Value = Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 12).Value + cells(i, 7).Value
NewAccount:
Msg = "Add New Account?"
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo)
If Ans = vbYes Then FormAddNew.Show

Next
End Sub

I tried replacing the named range with the cell reference, I tried declaring all my variables, some of my variables, etc. I tried moving the state abbreviations to a different column in the import file and changing the cell(i,x) reference. I entered a vlookup formula in the worksheet (=vlookup(d2,statelookup,2,false)) and it worked fine so I know my named range is correct and the lookup value exists in the named range. I have been on this one line all day and nothing works. I can't even see if the rest of the macro will work. I have to move on. I will find some sort of workaround.

Thank you so much for your help, I am just not to a point in macros where I can figure this out in the time I have.

Upvote 0
what happens error or no result?
does sname get any value?

you could convert to use find for the abbreviation and get the value from the offset of 1 column

Upvote 0
if the sheet capamerica is not the active sheet, you would need to specify the sheet name for all ranges (and cells)

Upvote 0
I am getting an error on the sname=worksheetfunction line. I get an error that says "unable to get the Vlookup property of the Worksheet Function class". I don't know if sname is getting an error because the code stops there. I am not sure what you mean by specify the sheet name for all ranges and cells. Hasn't "i" been defined as the usedrange in Capamerica? And when I set up the range name statelookup, the address included the sheet it is on. But even so, I specified the sheet name for statelookup in the code and it still didn't work.

Upvote 0
okay, I added the sheet name to the lookup and now I get a different error. It says "Object variable or With block variable not set". I have no idea what that means. Like I said, this might be beyond me. I am working on a workaround. Not efficient and I will have to lock and protect a lot of cells to keep the users from destroying but I need to get this done.

Dim i As Long
Dim sname As Worksheet

For i = 2 To Sheets("CapAmerica").UsedRange.Rows.Count
sname = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("capamerica").cells(i, 4), Sheets("info").Range("statelookup"), 2, False)
On Error GoTo NewAccount
a = Sheets(sname).Range("a:a").Find(cells(i, 1)).Address
' update value on sheet
Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 12).Value = Sheets(sname).Range(a).Offset(, 12).Value + cells(i, 7).Value
NewAccount:
Msg = "Add New Account?"
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo)
If Ans = vbYes Then FormAddNew.Show

Next
End Sub

Thanks again Westconn1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back