LOOKUP formula not recognized

jndickin

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am entering a LOOKUP formula that I've used on other worksheets. I vaguely recall there being some obscure issue when originally building the formula that was causing it not to accept it as a formula, but I can't remember what that was. Now I'm typing it in directly in a new worksheet and, once again, it says there's something wrong with the formula. I've checked my formatting and the display formulas toggle and all of that's okay. I type in
=LOOKUP(2,1/B2:B6=B7),C2:C6)
with no luck, however, when I copy the formula from the other worksheet and then adjust the cell addresses as appropriate, it works just fine. What is it that I could possibly be copying from that first worksheet that I haven't got right in my new one?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

- Jan

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
=LOOKUP(2,1/B2:B6=B7),C2:C6)
You are missing a parenthesis
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B2:B6=B7),C2:C6)

BTW, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Solution
You forgot one Open Parenthesis After Slash. Try this. This formula find Last matched cell at range.
Excel Formula:

Upvote 0
You are missing a parenthesis

BTW, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Good grief! That's not the "obscure" thing I remember--that's just stupid! Fortunately I'm accustomed to stupidity so it shouldn't slow me down much. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmjmjmjmjmjm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back