Lookup function

Jmurf

How can I lookup the highest number in a range of cells and find out information associated with that number, if the number was issued on a specific date for instance how can I look up that date?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi Jmurf,

Assuming the numbers are in Col. A and the dates are in Col. B (change the following to suit), try this on the sheet in question:

=VLOOKUP(MAX(A:A),A:B,2,FALSE)

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding Robert, the numbers are in a row and the dates are in the row above the numbers. So if the range of numbers is C01 to C05 what I want to find is the highest number in that range and the date under which it appears. Do you know if this is possible ?

Regards
J

Upvote 0
the numbers are in a row and the dates are in the row above the numbers. So if the range of numbers is C01 to C05 what I want to find is the highest number in that range and the date under which it appears

Hi,

Your description is contradictory, do you mean your numbers are in C2:G2, and the dates are in C1:G1 ?

Upvote 0
I agree with jtakw. If the numbers are in C01 to C05 (which I'm sure what that means) the dates cannot be "in the row above the numbers" as Row 1 is the first row in any sheet :confused:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back