lookup help needed for selective items depending on previous field

arnold_fok

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
calculated field : iff([bank]=9,'abc','cat') shows correctly
SELECT list.id, list.name FROM list WHERE list.soort='in' Or IIf([bank]=9,'abc',' cat'); shows other soort as wel (no where clause?)
( list is table with multiple lookups works fine if not want different short list depending on other field)

mmm u like to confuse ur colleagues by switching to forms while they learn to use lookup in database, but tnx
I am not trying to confuse anyone at all, just trying to teach good database design (giving them access to underlying tables in dangerous).
In a well-designed database, your users should NOT have access to the underlying tables. You usually want to limit them to Menus, Forms, and Reports, where you have much greater control of all the data, and can control exactly how data is presented and how users interact with the data.

One of the big issues with trying to do something at the table level where Field B is dependent upon the selection in Field A, what is to keep them from trying to update Field B before Field A?
You cannot control that at the Table level.

Regardless of all that, I told you exactly how you can find out exactly what you want to do. If you take just a few minutes to da a simple Google search, you will find many posts regarding your topic.
There aren't too many questions which haven't already been asked and answered already. It just takes a few minutes to search for them.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I am not trying to confuse anyone at all, just trying to teach good database design (giving them access to underlying tables in dangerous).
In a well-designed database, your users should NOT have access to the underlying tables. You usually want to limit them to Menus, Forms, and Reports, where you have much greater control of all the data, and can control exactly how data is presented and how users interact with the data.

One of the big issues with trying to do something at the table level where Field B is dependent upon the selection in Field A, what is to keep them from trying to update Field B before Field A?
You cannot control that at the Table level.

Regardless of all that, I told you exactly how you can find out exactly what you want to do. If you take just a few minutes to da a simple Google search, you will find many posts regarding your topic.
There aren't too many questions which haven't already been asked and answered already. It just takes a few minutes to search for them.
mmm u refer to user access, i refer to restricted lookup , before u refer to search i did lot of those research already and try and retry.
if user try field2 before field1 then its empty and not allowed perhaps ur design is not as solid as u suggest by using form if table support

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back