Lookup or VB which should I use?

Rob from Ohio

Here's my situation.

I have one worksheet with 88 columns and 10,000 rows of data (Range Name = Active_Data)

I have a second worksheet with one colum and 2,000 rows of data
(Range Name = Read_Data)

I want to use the second worksheet's Range as a lookup value to find matching data in the first worksheet. Then I want to copy the entire row from worksheet one (all 88 columns) into a third worksheet where the row in read_data matches a row in Active_data.

In essence I want to extract the data from worksheet one into a third worksheet where one columns (row) values match a (row) value from worksheet two.

Can anyone suggest the best method for doing this? Should I be using a long list of lookup formulas in my third worksheet or some form of VB code?
And can you provide an example of how to do this? I have been looking through the postings, but the longer I look the more confused I get.

Thanks,
Rob from Ohio

Oorang

If you try to do that with formulas it's going to take forever unless you have a fairly fast machine. This is actually more of a job for access.

Rob from Ohio

How would you do this with Access? Use some type of update query, and if so, how do you specify the values you want to use for the search criteria?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgschainey

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...