Lookup using VBA

GeJit

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I am completely new to VBA.

My problem is I want to Map Employee ID's to the workbook that user selects and opens.
I have created a mapping table which contains Local ID and External ID for Employees.
When the user opens a workbook, the macro should automatically match the External ID from the active workbook to the Mapping table I created, and retrieve the Local ID and paste to the next blank column of the used range. (planning to assign this Macro to a button which will be placed in the Mapping table Worksheet.).

Could someone help, please.

Posting the code I did till now. Don't know , how to go forward.

Sub MapID()
Dim myFile As String
Dim YourFolderPath As Variant
YourFolderPath = "C:\Trial"
myFile = Application.GetOpenFilename
If myFile = "False" Then Exit Sub
'MsgBox myFile
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim lastColumn, ValColumn As Long

Set ws = Sheets("Sheet1")

With ws

'lastRow = .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
lastColumn = .Cells(2, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
ValColumn = .Cells(2, lastColumn + 1).Select

End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not a pictures) of your mapping table and the sheet from at least one opened workbook. Alternately, you could upload a copies of your mapping table file and at least one opened workbook to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not a pictures) of your mapping table and the sheet from at least one opened workbook. Alternately, you could upload a copies of your mapping table file and at least one opened workbook to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).
Due to security reasons, I wont be able to open some Websites and also download files.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back