Lookup Value Across 7 Columns, but Go from Top Row to Bottom Row

justtryingtolearn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everybody, love this site and the helpful vibes everyone brings!

On Sheet1, I have a column of unique strings. On Sheet2, I have 7 columns of unique strings, and an 8th column with data I would like pulled into Sheet1 at the end. Each unique string from Sheet1 is buried somewhere among the 7 columns in Sheet2. I am wanting to lookup each unique string from Sheet1 in the 7 columns of Sheet2, but I am needing the search to proceed from the top row (7 cells wide) to the bottom. This is to say, starting in cell A2, the search pattern would need to go next to B2, all the way to the 7th cell, G2, before dropping down a row and starting again from A3 to G3. When a match is found, I am needing the adjacent data in Sheet2's 8th column, H, pulled adjacent to each unique string on Sheet1.

I tried using a combo of the INDEX and MATCH formulae to achieve my end here, but was unsuccessful, though since I'm a heavy VLOOKUP user and this was my first attempt using the INDEX and MATCH combo method, perhaps I'm just making a simple mistake. Below represents a dummy version of the dataset I'm working with (though it does not explain the reason why I need the search to proceed in the order I need it to proceed--which I still need).

1640118362294.png

1640118402198.png

Whether I'm just misusing the INDEX and MATCH combo, need to use another formula, or I am needing to employ some VBA here, please let me know. I am open to any of these approaches and have limited enough knowledge of VBA that I hopefully can follow along.

Thanks so much--you guys are awesome!

If the formula is returning #N/A that would suggest you have cells with that error on sheet2

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Ah! Thank you! I addressed the #N/As and it works! I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your generous help--I've learned a TON in under 24 hours.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back