Lookup value greater than 0 in column C, and return column A

cpis0002

Board Regular
Hi, Hopefully the name is pretty self explanatory...

I have Column C which will be basically empty apart from a 2 entries... 1 negative, and 1 positive number.

I want a formula to find the postive (greater than 0), and return the name of the data in column A... and same for the negative.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi,

=INDEX(A1:A1000,MATCH(TRUE,C1:C1000>0,0))

Confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Richard's will return last value where as mine return first.

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks to both of you.

Richard... can you tell me why the middle part of the Lookup function works, lol... if I put an = in front of the criteria and leave it by itself it gives an error. Thanks for the working formula, but would like to understand it.

Lewiy... I have seen the Index and Match used quite alot on MrExcel. I am quite good at excel, but never used these 2 functions. Could you please break it down so I know how and why they work.

Upvote 0
=LOOKUP(2,1/(C1:C1000>0),A1:A1000)

C1:C1000>0 returns an array of True/Falses dependent on whether the relevant cell's value is greater than 0.

Each element of this array is then used as the denominator in the division of 1 and returns 1 for 1/True and an error (ie #DIV/0!) for 1/False.

The clever bit is that Lookup ignores the error values, so the only results returned will be where you have no errors ie the 1/True values.

Since you only have one value > 0 in your range, then that will be the lookup value returned (used to index the formula return value in A1:A1000).

Make sense, or just caused more confusion?

Upvote 0
INDEX requires 2 or 3 arguments, an array, a row number and a column number. It will return the value of the cell that this refers to, so if you had:
=INDEX(B1:C10,3,2)
It will return the value in cell C3 (the third row and second column of the specified array). If you use a single dimensional array, i.e. A1:A10, then you needn’t use the column number in the formula.

MATCH basically looks up the specified value in a list and returns the row number of the list where it finds it (a bit like VLOOKUP but you get a location rather than a value). You can then use this within the INDEX formula to specify the row you want.

The result in this instance is basically a VLOOKUP which can look to the left as well as the right.

Hope that all makes sense!

Upvote 0
Richard... that made sense to me... never knew about that feature. Will definately use it again

Lewiy... I understood that too, still abit tricky for me but at least now I can read the formula when I see it, hehe

Now, another problem... I have the same thing on another sheet, but I need it to give me a list of all the positive values, and a lost of all the negative values... So it will find any value which is not equal to zero and give me the text of each one found in column A as before.

I would do it by creating a 2 columns next to the data which numbers the postive data in one column, and negative data in the next.
That is: cell D150 will have the formula:
=IF(C150>0,COUNT($D$5:$D149)+1,""))

and then a lookup formula to lookup values (1,2,3,etc) and return the data in column A... but this is alot of work since I have a large amount of columns...

If you can come up with a better idea, please let me know.
Thanks again :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back