Loop to update Annual Budget

Luthius

Happy New Year for everybody

I'm developing a personal finance database.
My idea is go beyond of only insert income and expenses/outcomes.
I want to develop an annual budget so I can monitor monthly what is jeopardizing my money.

1. tblBudget
    1. idBudget (primary Key)
    2. BudgetYear (year of budget)
    3. fkCategory (Category such as Food, Health, Transport, Household, etc.)
  2. tblBudgetDetails
    1. idBgtDetails (primary Key)
    2. fkBudget (Foreign Key associated to tblBudget)
    3. fkSubCategory (Such as Restaurant, Medicine, Car, etc.)
    4. referenceDate
    5. ExpenseValue

Instead of for each month I prepare budget for each category, my idea is after fill a general one, a loop go through the values and based in what I had inserted there, generate for each month (Jan to Dec) so I can have an annul budget.
Will be like:

• Update a temporary table (tblTmpBudget) with my records inserted on Budget Details table (tblBudgetDetails)
  • Delete the records on Budget Details table (tblBudgetDetails)
  • Read by recordset all values of tmpBudget
  • Insert back on tblBudgetDetails each record splitting it by month inserting dates on referenceDate as per record of tblTmpBudget

I don't know how to generate this loop.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi,
just write a query. No need for recordset/loops. You update the value based on the keys (primary key and or foreign key).

Upvote 0
Hi,
just write a query. No need for recordset/loops. You update the value based on the keys (primary key and or foreign key).
Can you please post some example, because in this case I must "copy" the values inserted as general and replicate them for all months of the year generating the "fixed" expenses of that month.

Upvote 0
What kind of values are being inserted as general (which I'm not even sure what that means)? Do you mean you have one value and you want to use it 12 times? Give an example.

Upvote 0
What kind of values are being inserted as general (which I'm not even sure what that means)? Do you mean you have one value and you want to use it 12 times? Give an example.
Exactly.
I will put one value and I want to replicate this value for all months of the year.

Upvote 0
There are many ways to do this. Since the value is the same you can ignore the months and just insert the value. for instance, if you have 100 for phone expenses each month then just:
Code:
Update TableBudget Set BudgetAmount = 100 WHERE BudgetID = "TelephoneExpenses"

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how complicated your budget is but in general for a first run you will probably want to fill in all the data by hand. This shouldn't be very hard. Going forward (future years) you just copy the previous years budget as the starting point and then only change the values that will change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back