Looping, and moving Data by criteria to a second workbook

Hardhat

I am trying to Loop though a list of a data. For every column where L is left blank,
I need to copy column A:K of that row to a second workbook.

I know in need to make the range to be copied and where it should go on the second workbook dynamic.
But I am struggling with getting to work. Below is a copy what i have done.

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub CopyToViewingWB()

Dim RowNum As Long
RowNum = 3

Workbooks.Open Filename:="M:\HSS Shared Services\Shared Services Team\Chuck T HSS\Recruiting\Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx" 'Location of workbooK
 Workbooks("Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx").Sheets("Master").Range("A2:K1000").ClearContents ' Clear workbook for new content

Do Until Cells(RowNum, 1).Value = "" 'This "Workbook Recruiting Info.xlsm"

If Sheet1.Cells(RowNum, 12) = "" Then
        Workbooks("Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx").Sheets("Master").Range("A2:K2") = Sheet1.Range("A3:K3").Value 'dynamic range for all Column L's Left emtpy
   End If

RowNum = RowNum + 1
Loop

Workbooks("Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx").Save
    Workbooks("Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx").Close

End Sub

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
If you're on office 365 and have the latest version, there's a wonderful new formula called FILTER which makes this a lot easier.

On your target workbook, you would just do

=filter(SOURCE_WORKBOOK_RANGE!A:L,L:L="")

on the target sheet, you should just hide column L.

I know this 1) doesn't paste as values and 2) still gives you column L, but this is a newer function I love a lot and want to make sure people know about

Upvote 0
Which workbook & worksheet is the code you show run from?
Are the "blank" cells in col L truly blank or do they have formulas returning ""?
Does the source data have a header row? If so what's the row number?

Upvote 0
Which workbook & worksheet is the code you show run from?
Are the "blank" cells in col L truly blank or do they have formulas returning ""?
Does the source data have a header row? If so what's the row number?

The code is running from the workbook with the L column that can be either filled or blank "Recruiting Info.xlsm"
I would like the columns A:L transfered to the second workbook "Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx" where that is all the data that is needed from the Workbook "Recruiting Info.xlsm"

When the "Recruiting Info.xlsm" is update the person will close the workbook by selection a button at the top that will clear "Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx" then renter all the rows that column L is still empty. I hope this answers you question.

Upvote 0
I like this idea but will also transfer all the data I don't have an issue with the l column being that it just needs to show the rows that L was empty. The end user of the form only want to view that information and not have to do any kind of sorting.

Upvote 0
This is untested so may need some tweaking.
Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit
Sub CopyToViewingWB()
Dim wkshtSource As Worksheet, wbDest As Workbook, c As Range, Rw As Long
Set wkshtSource = ActiveSheet
Set wbDest = Workbooks.Open(Filename:="M:\HSS Shared Services\Shared Services Team\Chuck T HSS\Recruiting\Req_veiwing_Form.xlsx") 'Location of workbooK
wbDest.Sheets("Master").Range("A2:K1000").ClearContents ' Clear workbook for new content
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With wkshtSource
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each c In Intersect(.UsedRange, .Range("L:L")).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)
        If Err.Number <> 0 Then
            MsgBox "No blank cells found in col L - goodbye"
            Exit Sub
        End If
        Rw = Rw + 1
        wbDest.Sheets("Master").Range("A" & Rw + 1, "K" & Rw + 1).Value = .Range("A" & c.Row, "K" & c.Row).Value
    Next c
End With
 With wbDest
    .Save
    .Close
End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JoeMo,

Thank you for the help with this. No Tweeking is needed works like a charm. I am still very new to this and working to learn more every day. :cool:

Upvote 0
JoeMo,

Thank you for the help with this. No Tweeking is needed works like a charm. I am still very new to this and working to learn more every day. :cool:
You are welcome - thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back