Looping off user input

Excel Ent

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello folks
I have a project workbook that takes the users input from sheet 1 and compares it against a range in sheet 2 ("Jan") If the match is found on this sheet ("Jan"), I need it to clear the row that the match is found on while preserving the formulas in "A" and "B2". So for example, if Jon is found in "A7", cells "A7" and "B7" are cleared but still hold the formula while cells "C" thru "G" are cleared as well. (cells C thru G are just normal cells). The highlighted text below keeps giving me a runtime error. One last level of complexity, if this can work, I need it to look through the other 11 worksheets "Feb" thru "Dec" and do the same. Thanks in advance!

Do
Ans = InputBox("Enter the name of the associate you wish to remove.")
If Ans = "" Then Exit Sub
If Application.CountIf(Range("A1:A358"), Ans) > 0 Then
Sheets("Jan").Select
Flg = True
For rw = 358 To 3 Step -1
If Cells(rw, "A") = Ans Then Rows(rw).Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).ClearContents
Next rw
End If
If Not Flg Then If MsgBox("That entry is invalid. Do you want to try again?", vbYesNo) = vbNo Then Exit Sub
Loop Until Flg

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi,
see if this update to your code helps you

VBA Code:
Sub ClearText(ByVal sh As Object)
    Dim wsInput     As Worksheet
    Dim Ans         As Variant
    Dim rw          As Long

Set wsInput = Worksheets("Sheet1")

Do
        Ans = InputBox("Enter the name of the associate you wish To remove.", "Enter Search Text")
        'cancel pressed
        If StrPtr(Ans) = 0 Then Exit Sub
            If Len(Ans) > 0 Then
            If Application.CountIf(wsInput.Range("A1:A358"), Ans) > 0 Then
                    'text comparison case-insensitive
                    If UCase(sh.Cells(rw, "A")) = UCase(Ans) Then _
                    sh.Rows(rw).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).ClearContents
                Next rw
                Exit Do
            Else
                If MsgBox("That entry Is invalid. Do you want To try again?", 36, "Not Found") = vbNo Then Exit Sub
            End If
        End If
    Loop

End Sub

To call it

VBA Code:
ClearText WorkSheets("Jan")

Change the name of sheet you want to search as required

Solution may need adjusting to meet your specific project need but hopefully, goes in right direction for you.

Dave

Upvote 0
Thank a bunch. Would you know how to get it to loop through all the worksheets (FEB-DEC) to perform the same function? The range of worksheets is specific to FEB-DEC because there are other sheets that are feeding the FEB-DEC tabs.

Upvote 0
Thank a bunch. Would you know how to get it to loop through all the worksheets (FEB-DEC) to perform the same function? The range of worksheets is specific to FEB-DEC because there are other sheets that are feeding the FEB-DEC tabs.

Hi,
If it is your intention to loop all 12 month sheets for the same search then try this update

VBA Code:
Sub ClearText()
    Dim wsInput     As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet
    Dim Ans         As Variant
    Dim rw          As Long
    Dim i           As Integer

Do
        Ans = InputBox("Enter the name of the associate you wish To remove.", "Enter Search Text")
        'cancel pressed
        If StrPtr(Ans) = 0 Then Exit Sub
        If Len(Ans) > 0 Then
            If Application.CountIf(wsInput.Range("A1:A358"), Ans) > 0 Then
                For i = 1 To 12

Set sh = Worksheets(MonthName(i, True))

'text comparison case-insensitive
                    Next rw
                    Set sh = Nothing
                Next i
            Else
                If MsgBox("That entry Is invalid. Do you want To try again?", 36, "Not Found") = vbNo Then Exit Sub
            End If
        End If
    Loop

End Sub

Dave

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help I really appreciate your time. Every time I run the macro I get this error. It says no cells were found
1613866843536.png

Upvote 0
Hello again. This works when I change the following

to

sh.Rows(rw).entirerow.ClearContents

however this clears the formulas. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Hi,
You have set the Input sheet to one of you comparison sheets

VBA Code:
Set wsInput = Worksheets("Jan")

This line must be the Input sheet only & not any of the month name sheets (Jan -Dec)

Rich (BB code):

change the sheet name (Sheet1) as required but it cannot be any of the sheet names the code is clearing ranges on

Also, can you use CODE TAGS when posting code please

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,
You have set the Input sheet to one of you comparison sheets

VBA Code:
Set wsInput = Worksheets("Jan")

This line must be the Input sheet only & not any of the month name sheets (Jan -Dec)

Rich (BB code):

change the sheet name (Sheet1) as required but it cannot be any of the sheet names the code is clearing ranges on

Also, can you use CODE TAGS when posting code please

Dave
Copy on the Code Tags. Thanks for reminder and ill continue to do so when I post!

One last and final question as you have been a tremendous help. I have 12 tabs Jan-Dec. There is a "Data" tab feeding these 12 monthly tabs. if I clear the info on the "Data" tab, the 12 monthly tabs wont have the data to find. So if on my "Data" tab A3 is Larry, cells A3 in tabs Jan Dec is also Larry. I need that loop to take the user entry and find in the 12 monthly tabs and clear the row but leave the formulas referencing the "Data" tab. I have coding after this is completed to clear the found user input on the "Data" tab. Does that make sense or is your head spinning?

Upvote 0
Copy on the Code Tags. Thanks for reminder and ill continue to do so when I post!

One last and final question as you have been a tremendous help. I have 12 tabs Jan-Dec. There is a "Data" tab feeding these 12 monthly tabs. if I clear the info on the "Data" tab, the 12 monthly tabs wont have the data to find. So if on my "Data" tab A3 is Larry, cells A3 in tabs Jan Dec is also Larry. I need that loop to take the user entry and find in the 12 monthly tabs and clear the row but leave the formulas referencing the "Data" tab. I have coding after this is completed to clear the found user input on the "Data" tab. Does that make sense or is your head spinning?
I also changed the wsInput to "Data" tab it still gives me the same error. I understand the code and what it is doing but I cant figure out why it keeps giving me the no cells found. Again when I change it to entire row clear contents or special cells formulas, it works but clears all....im stumped.

Upvote 0
I also changed the wsInput to "Data" tab it still gives me the same error. I understand the code and what it is doing but I cant figure out why it keeps giving me the no cells found. Again when I change it to entire row clear contents or special cells formulas, it works but clears all....im stumped.

helpful if you could place a copy of your workbook with some dummy data on a file sharing site like dropbox & provide a link to it.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back