Looping Worksheet & Capturing Output For Monte Carlo Analysis

jklunde

I'm relatively experienced with Excel (among normal people, relatively less so in this crowd) and have very little experience with VB. I'm trying to complete a Monte Carlo simulation to better understand distribution of returns for a specific financial analysis model.

I have built a worksheet that uses Excel's random variable generator to create a 100 period model, and I want to capture the outputs of these 100 periods for 5,000 or more iterations in another worksheet to analyze distibution of results.

I'm guessing a macro is the best way to accomplish this, but don't really know how to accomplish. Thanks!

Be easy on me, I'm a virgin poster.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Here's a macro I recorded that does the first three iterations of what I'm looking for, although I'm sure there's a lot of garbage in here too from recording.

Calculate
Sheets("Randomized Flows").Select
Range("B38").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Iterations").Select
Range("D2").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Calculate
Selection.Copy
Range("D3").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Calculate
Selection.Copy
Range("D4").Select
End Sub

Basically, I want to:
calculate the sheet (F9)
copy cells B38:MW38 from sheet Randomized Flows
paste values to D2 in sheet Iterations

repeat 5000 times, just moving the cell for the last step down one row each iteration.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Test this on a copy of your workbook.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> jklunde()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> iter <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, r <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, NoCols <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> myRange <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <br>    iter = 10 <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- change to suit no. of iterations required.</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Sheets("Randomized Flows")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> myRange = .Range("B38", .Range("B38").End(xlToRight))<br>        NoCols = myRange.Columns.Count<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> r = 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 2 + iter - 1<br>        Sheets("Iterations").Cells(r, "D").Resize(, NoCols).Value = myRange.Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> r<br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Just realised that you may have Calculation set to manual. If so, try this modification to the For...Next loop.
Rich (BB code):
For r = 2 To 2 + iter - 1
    myRange.Calculate
    Sheets("Iterations").Cells(r, "D").Resize(, NoCols).Value = myRange.Value
Next r

Upvote 0
This code mostly works for me, but it doesn't recalculate between iterations. I.e., it will recalculate the workbook once, then give me 10 rows of the same output. I'm a total VBA beginner so I don't know why this would, but figured I'd point it out since otherwise this code is really helpful in getting a start on Monte Carlo sims in Excel. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back