Loosing data after entering it into access

Cablek

Board Regular
We have been using an Access database since 2000 we have upgraded it and it's currently being used on Office 365
As usual Access creates a unique number to identify the record
when reviewing the data I noticed a sequence of numbers missing from last Friday ( 3 numbers in a row) and this morning a few random numbers
There are 2 users using this same database and we have never encountered this issue before...

any thoughts?
Databade is 20,799,488 bytes in size
and holds 101703 records presently
1644253885403.png

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
There are 2 users using this same database and we have never encountered this issue before...
If you have multiple users using the same database, have you split the database so each user has their own copy of the front-end (which is linked to the common back-end)?
If not, you should definitely do this, to minimize the risk of corruption or interference.

Upvote 0
If you have multiple users using the same database, have you split the database so each user has their own copy of the front-end (which is linked to the common back-end)?
If not, you should definitely do this, to minimize the risk of corruption or interference.
I actually just learned about splitting the database this morning and when I tried to do it it gives me this message
1644256765499.png

Upvote 0
If that field is an autonumber field and user begins a record then cancels, the number is gone for good. In that case you'll get gaps. If it's an autonumber field and you're using it as meaningful data, then you should not be doing so. If there's nothing in your data that tells you that records are missing (e.g. missing work order values, times, dates, etc.) then it's not proof of missing records. You'd need something else - time stamps, backups of the tables (in a back end db as suggested). If I may point out, you're using reserved words for names, spaces and special characters in names and that's not good practice.

EDIT - just saw your last post. Date is an example of a field name you've used; that's likely the reason for the error. From many posts I've seen, it appears that newer versions of Access don't let you get away with such things as much anymore.

Maybe these will be of interest.
Naming conventions - General: Commonly used naming conventions

What not to use in names
- Microsoft Access tips: Problem names and reserved words in Access

About Auto Numbers
- General: Use Autonumbers properly

Upvote 0
If that field is an autonumber field and user begins a record then cancels, the number is gone for good. In that case you'll get gaps. If it's an autonumber field and you're using it as meaningful data, then you should not be doing so. If there's nothing in your data that tells you that records are missing (e.g. missing work order values, times, dates, etc.) then it's not proof of missing records. You'd need something else - time stamps, backups of the tables (in a back end db as suggested). If I may point out, you're using reserved words for names, spaces and special characters in names and that's not good practice.

EDIT - just saw your last post. Date is an example of a field name you've used; that's likely the reason for the error. From many posts I've seen, it appears that newer versions of Access don't let you get away with such things as much anymore.

Maybe these will be of interest.
Naming conventions - General: Commonly used naming conventions

What not to use in names
- Microsoft Access tips: Problem names and reserved words in Access

About Auto Numbers
- General: Use Autonumbers properly
To my knowledge the date field is autopopulated (fetched from PC) then is used fot reports... I created this Database close to 20 years ago and it's been working fine.. can you elaborate on what you think the fix might be?
One of my users is telling me that they entered one record this morning and it is now missing

Upvote 0
What Micron is telling you is that Access may not like the fact that you have chosen a reserved word like "Date" for the name of a field, variable, procedure, or function.
You should avoid doing that, as it can cause errors and unexpected behavior.
Newer versions of Access may be "stricter" in helping you avoid that situation by not allowing it anymore, so you may need to do a little maintenance/clean-up to fix those situations.

Google searches seem to indicate it could also mean that you have some missing references (libraries).
I see this happen often when people get new computers, I am not sure if it is also prevalent after upgrades.
So you may want to check your References/Libraries in the VB Editor and see if you have any missing libraries and select the ones you need.

Upvote 0
What Micron is telling you is that Access may not like the fact that you have chosen a reserved word like "Date" for the name of a field, variable, procedure, or function.
You should avoid doing that, as it can cause errors and unexpected behavior.
Newer versions of Access may be "stricter" in helping you avoid that situation by not allowing it anymore, so you may need to do a little maintenance/clean-up to fix those situations.

Google searches seem to indicate it could also mean that you have some missing references (libraries).
I see this happen often when people get new computers, I am not sure if it is also prevalent after upgrades.
So you may want to check your References/Libraries in the VB Editor and see if you have any missing libraries and select the ones you need.
Hi Joe I have checked the libraries and they all have the same one's loaded
1644261410779.png

What I am unclear of is the use of "DATE" I need the field displayed so they can enter it... what can I do to change it...

Upvote 0
What I am unclear of is the use of "DATE" I need the field displayed so they can enter it... what can I do to change it...
Bring up the table with this "Date" field is stored, and change the name.

Upvote 0
Bring up the table with this "Date" field is stored, and change the name.
1644262015937.png

I went it and tried renaming it to "ENTERED" and got this message

I am really sorry guy's this of probably trivial to most of you just trying to get back into it after all these years

Upvote 0
One of my users is telling me that they entered one record this morning and it is now missing
What was done to ensure that the record was actually saved? Did anyone close the form (you're not entering data into tables, right?) and re-open the form to see if it was still there? If yes, it disappeared after that? I'm not seeing anything in your info that confirms records are being deleted as opposed to not being saved. Is the number field an autonumber field or not? This may be practically impossible to troubleshoot from afar without looking at a db copy.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back