Losing hyperlinks when emailing

C Holmes

I would like to send an Excel file with hyperlinks of photo's attached to cells but when it is sent the recieving person cannot access the hyperlinks anymore. I am using 2007, I have tried to send the folder but that didn't seem to work. Any other way around this?

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Ask the person receiving the file to set the "Hyperlink Base" to point to the folder containing the photos. "Hyperlink Base" is located on the "Summary" tab of the file properties dialog box. This usually works for me.

Gary

Upvote 0
So as I understand, send the file folder and right click on the Excel file and set the hyperlinks there?

Upvote 0
Yes, the recipient will need the folder containing the photos.

No to the right click.

Please check Excel help for "Hyperlink Base". It is a text box located in the "File Properties" dialog box (Summary Tab) where you can type in the path to the folder containing the photos or whatever documents.

"Properties" is on the "File" menu in versions prior to 2007.

Gary

Upvote 0
So the person recieving would have to know the path. Could I pre insert the path for them? Good chance this may beyond their ability

Upvote 0
I don't know if you could assign the path ahead of time. If you can, how will you know that this person will put the folder where you expect it if their abilities are that limited.

You might also try putting the Excel file in the same folder with the photos.

Gary

Upvote 0
I did put together in same file. I could tell them to save to the "c" drive (it is a network with many drives) wonder if that would work?

Upvote 0
I can cause an Excel file that I have with hundreds of hyperlinks to fail just as you describe by emailing it to myself. The files it references are all on a network drive. When I open the copy that I emailed to myself the links have all been changed to C:\Documents & .... (totally wrong).

I can fix the above by keying the original file location into Hyperlink Base.

Gary

Upvote 0
OK one more question and I wont pester anymore. Is there an easy way to figure out what the path might be? Would it just simply be C:\desktop\folder name\folder name

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back