lost personal file

Eric Kelcher

Board Regular
Well not actually lost (misplaced?) but the personal file macros are no longer available without opening personal.xls. Personal is not hidden it just appears to not be there, I can go do a search and find the "hidden version" in hidden/system folder->Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART.
How do I recreate it so it is always there? I can get all the macros I need from this "searched" version but there is a very good possibilty I deleted the normal version as I had issues and I had excel crash and it was one of the recovered files and I clicked that I had saved all the files I needed. Now it no longer is accesible directly via macro or there when I try to unhide files under window task. When I open this version it acts just like normal personal I can hide it and macros are still useable, etc.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi Eric

If you go Tools>Macro>Record New Macro select to create it in your Personal.xls. Excel should then recreate the file in the correct location and you can copy and paste your macros in to the new one.

Hope this helps!

Richard

Upvote 0
That is what I was hoping too but it didn't work.

I get error message.

Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording.

Then

Unable to record

Upvote 0
Eric

Try renaming your existing Personal.xls to something else (or move it out of the XLSTART folder) and then repeating the steps I gave above. Post back if it's still a no go.

Richard

Upvote 0
Tried changing the existing personal file name then recorded new macro same issue. It made a new file called Personal stored in same location as old one, but personal macros are still not available when personal is not open. ???

Upvote 0
Eric

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your problem - the Personal.xls is always normally open, it's just that it is hidden (and can be unhidden by Windows>Unhide). Because it is located in XLSTART and is normally saved down as hidden, it will open up under normal Excel operation every time you start Excel, but will remain hidden. Maybe this is why you thought it wasn't open?

Richard

Upvote 0
That is my problem it is not opening when I start Excel. I have to manually go and open it to use the Personal macros. IE it is not listed as a hidden file under Windows actually it is showing that there are no hidden files.

Upvote 0
And it's still in your XLSTART? Not sure why it isn't opening up then (unless some kind of setting on your computer has been messed up - beyond my ability resolve though). However, you may be able to get Excel to open the file by creating a new folder on your computer (say on "C:\ExcelAlternateStartUp\") by, in Excel, going Tools>Options>General tab and then navigating to the box towards the bottom labelled "At startup, open all files in:" and type the alternate folder location in here. Make sure you copy over your Personal.xls into this folder location afterwards, so it's there to open.

I'd be interested to hear if this does indeed work.

Richard

Upvote 0
Yeah it is in XLSTART that is what is killing me.

Tried making the alt start program still does not work.

Yeah this is real confusing. :oops:

Upvote 0
Eric

Does any other workbooks you place in either XLSTART or the alternative start location open up, or do these stay closed when Excel boots up?

Richard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcolwell16

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back