Lost relationships between tables

riggsd

Board Regular
I was trying to use the Query Wizard and it said that my tables weren't related so I looked at the relationships and there are no longer any lines connecting my tables. I'm checking back through backups and they are missing there too until I get to backups I made in February 2017. However, I've been able to create new queries using Query Design all this time with no issues and all my old queries, which rely on relationships, still work.

Does anyone know how this may have happened and is there a way to get them back without having to manually recreate each relationship?

ETA: I did split the database but that was last week so the relationships were lost way before I split the database.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hmmm, not sure. If you do not have it in any backup, I am afraid that you may be out of luck.
Did you check BOTH the front and the back-ends of the database for the relationships?

Personally, I do not set the relationships between tables in the database. I write each of my queries explicitly, where I manually set the joins in each one.
Because I do it this way, I have never experienced the issue that you are describing.

I am not sure what the "best practice" is, but I know of many other programmers who do it the same way I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do have the relationships in old backups but from early 2017. After that, they just disappeared. As long as I use the Query Design tool which manually creates the joins, I'm fine. I just can't use the

Upvote 0
Did you check both ends of the split database for them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, very ... so far, I'm not seeing issues with queries, I just can't use the query wizard, which I rarely do anyway.

Upvote 0
I just can't use the query wizard, which I rarely do anyway.
I wouldn't think that would affect that. I never set relationships in my databases, and am able to use the Query Wizards without any issues. Usually, that ask you to map the join field in them.
If there is more one join field, you can just join on one field, and then edit it once complete to add the other joins.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back