Lotto Question...

JoeSeaMonKey

Hi all,
I'm new here :LOL:
I've been reading alot of the posts here and am wondering why you don't at least charge a small subscription fee or have a link to donate to this site :eek: (I haven't seen one)...It's really nice you help people out though.
What I am interested in is how to use excel to compile a complete list of all possible powerball combinations..I realize it's a huge task and perhaps excel can't create it....were talking a total of 146,107,962 possible combinations according to the powerball website.
*removed by Admin*
If interested and are capable of generating this list please post here first in order to make this fair to everyone.
Thanks for your time !

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
joe.

when you say "compile", do you mean you simply want all possible combinations? or do you need to be able to "quickly" produce this list regularly, or...

i ask because it would take 9 spreadsheets to produce this list.

ben.

Upvote 0
HI sweater_vests_rock,
Thanks for your reply.
I only need the list once...but preferably in a format that I could load into say excel or a spreedsheet.

Upvote 0
Have a look at this thread, which describes how to create all possible poker hands. If you consider a deck of 55 cards, a powerball selection is just one poker hand (ignoring the powerball choice).

If you generate all possible 3,478,761 combinations of 5 items drawn from 55 without replacement (you will have to modify the codes shown accordingly) that represents be the white ball number selection, which will fit on one tab of a spreadsheet. Copy that tab 42 times, and each tab represents the combinations with a different powerball (red ball) selection.

If you are trying to track powerball results (please say you are not) you will have to load these into a database, since you will exceed Excel's ability to conveniently access the data. In this case you could load the white ball numbers, then do a cartesian product on those strings and the redball numbers, which would likely be faster. In any event, this will be a pretty slow process. I seriously doubt that there is any real value to this...

Upvote 0
1) Lotteries work
2) Lottery prediction schemes don't, so
3) You should find something more profitable to do that generate a list of all possible combinations of results as it will be precisely useless.

Upvote 0
1) Lotteries work
2) Lottery prediction schemes don't, so
3) You should find something more profitable to do [than] generate a list of all possible combinations of results as it will be precisely useless.
So true. One of my favorite bumperstickers read . . .

• Lotto: A tax on those who are bad at math

Upvote 0
Someone here in Oregon actually did the 1 and only 1 sure way to win the lottery, he bet every single combination, after that the story was that the state reprogrammed the computers to not allow all combinations to be purchased.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back