Macro button for copying and saving column data as .scr file

MrMuscle

I have created excel workbook to support my work with autocad. This workbook creates certain count of ready to use command lines for autocad script file. I would like to add button which copies these command lines and saves them to .scr file to current users desktop. The area for the commands to be copied can be for example L16:L75. Can somebody help me out with this? :confused:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Try assigning this to a button. It creates Test.scr on the Desktop containing lines from the first populated cell in column L to the last populated cell in column L of the active sheet.

Code:
Public Sub Create_Scr_File()

Dim copyCells As Range
    Dim newWorkbook As Workbook

'Get cells in column L to copy

With ActiveSheet
        Set copyCells = .Range(.Cells(1, "L").End(xlDown), .Cells(Rows.Count, "L").End(xlUp))
    End With

'Save cells in new workbook

Set newWorkbook = Workbooks.Add(xlWBATWorksheet)
    copyCells.Copy newWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Range("A1")
    newWorkbook.SaveAs Get_SpecialFolderPath("Desktop") & "\Test.scr", FileFormat:=xlTextWindows
    newWorkbook.Close False

End Sub

Private Function Get_SpecialFolderPath(strSpecialFolder) As String

Dim WSshell As Object

Set WSshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Get_SpecialFolderPath = WSshell.SpecialFolders(strSpecialFolder)
    Set WSshell = Nothing

End Function

Upvote 0
Thank you already for helping John_w!

There is a small problem with the code. The data on column L is formed by formula and because of this the lines in .scr file appear as "#REF!".

Example of formula in column L: =$B$6&" "&$G$3&" "&J16&" "&$C$6&" "&J16&" "&$E$6&" "&$F$6&" "&F16&","&G16&" "&H16&","&I16&" "&$G$6

Thanks for adding the feature to code that automatically identifies cells which have content!

There is also one thing I would like you to add to code if possible: I would like to reverse the o column data to .scr file. So that if the script code is on lines 1-60, it will be presented in order 60-1 (60, 59, 58, ... , 1)

Upvote 0
I managed reverse the column data. So, if I understood right, now to macro only needs to be set to "copy values". I think this would be easier for you to do without flipping to column data order.

Upvote 0
I managed to modify the script so that it pastes values. I also set that the file is saved in same location with excel workbook and has timestamp.

Code:
Public Sub Create_Scr_File()

Dim copyCells As Range
    Dim newWorkbook As Workbook

'Get cells in column L to copy

With ActiveSheet
        Set copyCells = .Range(.Cells(1, "L").End(xlDown), .Cells(Rows.Count, "L").End(xlUp))
    End With

'Create new workbook, copy defined range and paste its values

Set newWorkbook = Workbooks.Add(xlWBATWorksheet)
    copyCells.Copy
    newWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

'Save workbook as .scr file

newWorkbook.SaveAs ThisWorkbook.Path & "\layout_script-" &  Format(Now, "ddmmyy-hhmmss") & ".scr", FileFormat:=xlTextWindows
    newWorkbook.Close False

End Sub

One more problem still occurs. The pasted data has quotations in the begining and end of each line.

Like this: "autocad script command"

Can anybody help me to solve this last problem? I dont have the slightest clue how to do this :(

Upvote 0
Hi,

Just to resurrect this old one, but...I am trying to run this script myself and am having some issues, would someone be able to help me get it working? It's been so long since I last did anything VBA based.
At the moment, I have copied the code into a script, and assigned it a button, but it is coming up with a lot of errors and won't run! :(

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back