Macro button transferability

schelber

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet with 6 macro buttons assigned, but when i forward that spread to others , the macros are there but the buttons i created to link them does not appear for anyone else.......and they need to go in and create their own.

Same versions of excel 2002.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
It's not clear how you created the buttons. Did you create toolbar buttons? Did you create embedded Control Toolbox buttons in one of the sheets? Did you create embedded Forms toolbar buttons in a sheet?

Upvote 0
sorry, didnt know there were so many forms..........i just created toolbar buttons from Tools>Customize

Upvote 0
Sounds like the macros you have assigned to the buttons are saved in your "Personal.xls" file instead of the active workbook.

Upvote 0
schelber

If you created these buttons just by going to Customize... it's unlikely they will be available to the other users.

I think there is a way to have these buttons 'travel' with the workbook, but my preferred method with this sort of thing is to programmatically create the buttons.

This can be done when the workbook is activated/opened and then the y can be removed when it's closed/deactivated.

Upvote 0
Use the Button icon on the Forms toolbar to create your button, and send your workbook as an attachment in an email. Just did a test and it works for me. When I opened the attachment, the button was there, and it ran the attached macro.

As Norie says, putting a button on your toolbar doesn't cut it. Your customized toolbar is on your machine only, not on the recipient's. Toolbars, like fine wine, don't travel well.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I mis-read your question. Thought your macros were missing, not your buttons.

I like to use AutoShapes for buttons from the Drawing Toolbar. More options for color, etc. and you can still assign macros to them. Or you could just use the standard button from the control toolbox.

Upvote 0
hmmm. actually that didnt work......even under Forms>Button i email it to another account......bring up workbook and the button i created under Forms menu is also not there.

Wouldnt anything chosen under Customize be automatically assigned to personal.xls.........how do i create/assign a macro button under the activeworksheet so that other email recipients see the buttons i create.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
schelber said:
hmmm. actually that didnt work......even under Forms>Button i email it to another account......bring up workbook and the button i created under Forms menu is also not there.

Hmm. Just a thought - Go to Tools>Options>View> and make sure "Show All" is checked under "Objects". Probably not the problem, though, since you can still see them on your own PC. Another thought - the recipient's email program may be filtering the buttons out, although they do seem to be allowing the macros.

schelber said:
Wouldnt anything chosen under Customize be automatically assigned to personal.xls.........how do i create/assign a macro button under the activeworksheet so that other email recipients see the buttons i create.

Where ever it's saved, it's still just on your PC, not on the recipients. The recipients don't have access to your Personal Macro book, do they?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back