Macro Change Cell Dropdown, Create PDF, Choose Next Dropdown, Repeat

Bries

Hello,

I want to automate the process for creating weekly reports. In cell A1 I have a list of 10 departments in a dropdown menu. The rest of the calculations refer to that dropdown to return relevant performance information.

Right now I select Dept 1 in the dropdown menu, save as PDF, select department 2, save as PDF, and repeat for the 10 departments. I can't just create 10 tabs due to issues that are irrelevant to excel.

Is there some macro that can be created that will perform this process for me? It seems like this question was asked at the link below but I don't understand what or how it works, or if it even did end up working. I'm not very experienced in VBA at all: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/781111-macro-change-name-cell-print-pdf-repeat.html

Is anyone able to walk me through how to solve this?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
OK, I think I understand what you're looking for and took a stab at a solution.

Code:
Sub ValidationList_PDFPrint()
'Created By:    AFPathfinder
'Created On:    11/21/2017
'Modified On:
'Created For:   Bries
'code example source(s):
'   [URL]https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/781111-macro-change-name-cell-print-pdf-repeat.html[/URL]
'   [URL]https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30603004/iterate-through-an-excel-dropdown-validation-list[/URL]
'------------------------------------------------------------------

Dim inputRange As Range
    Dim cell As Range

Set inputRange = Evaluate(Range("A1").Validation.Formula1)

For Each cell In inputRange
        Range("A1").Value = cell.Value

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:= _
            "C:\Users" & Environ("USERNAME") & "\Desktop" & Range("A1").Text & ".pdf", _
            Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas _
            :=False, OpenAfterPublish:=False
    Next cell
End Sub

This is untested, but I believe I've combined your example with Jeanno's solution from Stack Overflow. The variable "inputRange" is set to the list range of cell A1 and the For Each loops through each item in that list. Inside the loop, the value of A1 is changed to the current item in the list and then performs the export to pdf.

I have it saving the file to your desktop with the filename of the text in A1. It is also set to not open the file after exporting (OpenAfterPublish:=False). The part "Environ("USERNAME")" pulls the user's username in case more than one user will run this. If you have any questions on this, let us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back