Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
  3. 2011
  4. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear All,
I have a Macro enabled spreadsheet, I have uploaded the xlsm file in google drive and shared the file to my users. Users has to open the spreadsheet and update status when they complete the task. But when i open in google sheet, Macros are not enabled. How to enable macros so that the conditions i have set in the spreadsheet will be working.

Alternatively is there any other way to update my spreadsheet in google drive, Eg. If user download the spreadsheet from google drive based on the link provided to the user and user updates the downloaded spreadsheet in local drive , spreadsheet automatically gets updated in google drive.

Since I dont know java coding. Any help to solve this will be of a great help to me. Thanks in Advance

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Are you trying to open and Excel file with Macros in Google Sheets?
I don't think that will work.

If you want the user to be able to edit it, I think they would have to open it in Excel, not Google Sheets.

Upvote 0
Are you trying to open and Excel file with Macros in Google Sheets?
I don't think that will work.

If you want the user to be able to edit it, I think they would have to open it in Excel, not Google Sheets.
If they open it using excel then they have to upload the file again in the google drive for others to access and this will cause confusion , if the other user updates and forgot to upload.

Upvote 0
I am just trying to get clarification on your question, as it isn't quite clear. So let me try asking in a more direct manner.

1. What format is this file in? Is it an Excel file or Google sheets file?
2. What program are they trying to open the file in?

Upvote 0
I am just trying to get clarification on your question, as it isn't quite clear. So let me try asking in a more direct manner.

1. What format is this file in? Is it an Excel file or Google sheets file?
2. What program are they trying to open the file in?
Hi, It is an Excel file saved in. Xlsm format as it has.macro and uploaded in google drive for users to update their project status when a task is completed. There are around 10 users accessing the file. So they will open the file using the link shared by me. While opening the file they will use google sheets when the file is opened in the browser. So that all the other person can see the status that is getting updated in the sheet.
If i download the file using the link, then after doing the changes, user has to upload the file for others to make changes. This will not workout when multiple users want to access the file at the same time.
Hope i have clarified your doubts.

Upvote 0
A few thoughts.

1. I believe that VBA/Macros will not work when using the online version of Excel (see: Work with VBA macros in Excel for the web).
2. If you want multiple users to be able to use and update Excel simultaneously, and to be able to do it using Excel on-line, they look into using Co-authoring (see: Co-author a workbook). I have never used this myself, so really cannot provide more guidance on it.
3. I know nothing of using Google Sheets to update Excel files, but found this article here, which should be helpful (especially the section entitled "2.3 Edit Excel files in Sheets": 2. Sheets and Excel best practices - Docs Editors Help

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
A few thoughts.

1. I believe that VBA/Macros will not work when using the online version of Excel (see: Work with VBA macros in Excel for the web).
2. If you want multiple users to be able to use and update Excel simultaneously, and to be able to do it using Excel on-line, they look into using Co-authoring (see: Co-author a workbook). I have never used this myself, so really cannot provide more guidance on it.
3. I know nothing of using Google Sheets to update Excel files, but found this article here, which should be helpful (especially the section entitled "2.3 Edit Excel files in Sheets": 2. Sheets and Excel best practices - Docs Editors Help

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your comments and sharing the link. Will check, my problem is, to open xlsm file (excel file with macros enabled) using google sheets. So that i can validate the user input with the macros i have created in the xlsm file.

Upvote 0
my problem is, to open xlsm file (excel file with macros enabled) using google sheets.
I am pretty sure even if you can open the file in Google Sheets, you will not be able to run the Excel macros in them. I don't think Google Sheets will understand Excel VBA code.
And even if you open them in Excel, if you are opening them online, the Macros/VBA will not run. You would have to download the file to a personal computer (see the first link I gave you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back