Macro for removing/concatenating duplicates - worth posting?

Ginkgo

Hey all,

Short version: I have a duplicate remover/concatenator script, is it worth making it available on my site and where should I list it?

Gonna be a long post for full info :biggrin:

I work with a database product called the Raiser's Edge, which like many products is happy to export to Excel but can run into problems. In many cases, if you ask it to export a field which may contain multiple values, it exports a row for every option for a record, so you end up with duplicates.

So, as a fictituous sample database, imagine a Flower record which has data entries for colour and stem type.

So the flower "Rose" could have Yellow, Red, or White as colour data, and the stem type entries of Green and Thorny.

Exported, this produces:
Code:
Flower   Colour   Stem
--------------------------
Rose     Yellow   Green
Rose     Yellow   Thorny
Rose     Red      Green
Rose     Red      Thorny
Rose     White    Green
Rose     White    Thorny
...not really what most people want.

I've written a macro which will go through a sheet like this, using the first column as the unique identifier, and produce:

Code:
Flower   Colour                Stem
------------------------------------------
Rose     Yellow; Red; White    Green; Thorny
Now, I wrote this because I couldn't find any alternatives. I like to think it works quite well - progress bar and undo, and copes with tens of thousands of rows and tens of columns quite comfortably. We've thrown real situations including thousands of rows with up to 700 duplicated rows for each record, and it's coped fine.

Would anyone else find this kind of script useful? Does it do a job other scripts out there don't do, or was I just not good enough at googling? Is it worth sticking on my site? And if so, are there any listings to submit it to? (ie on the mac, I submit software to macupdate and versiontracker, so users are aware of it).

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any replies :)

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back