Macro for transforming the data

Ganja

Hello!
I would truly appreciate if someone could help me out with macro code for the task described below. I need to repeat this process daily and it would save me quite some time if I would have a macro in hand.

Many thanks in advance!

Description:
· there are three sheets in the workbook: time_series,lookup_table and code
· all three sheets – headings are in the first row
Tasks:
1. Insert two columns at the beginning (column A and B) in the sheet time_series
a. New column B of the sheet time_series should have values from column C of the lookup_table sheet based on matching concatenated value of original column A and B of the sheet time_series (when two columns are inserted it will be columns C and D) andcolumn K of the lookup_table sheet
i. for example – cell B2 of the time_series sheet should be the value of the following formula, including the blank cell option
=IF(ISBLANK(C2), INDEX(lookup_table!$A$2:$L$501, MATCH(time_series!D2, lookup_table!$K$2:$K$501, 0), 3), INDEX(lookup_table!$A$2:$L$501, MATCH(CONCATENATE(time_series!C2,", ", time_series!D2), lookup_table!$K$2:$K$501, 0), 3))
b. New column A of the sheet time_series should have a value from column B from the sheet code based on matching the values of new column B of the sheet time_series with column A of code sheet.
i. for example – cell A2 of the time_series sheet should be the value of this formula
=INDEX(code!$A$2:$D$350, MATCH(time_series!B2, code!$A$2:$A$350, 0), 2)
2. Create a new worksheet that would be based on data from time_series sheet. Column B of time_seriessheet has repetitive values and the data in each column starting from column G should be summed up based on unique values in column B. Currently I am doing it with pivot table.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
you can record the steps to do each action with the macro recorder, and if necessary post that code in between code tags here to help with refining

Upvote 0
@Ganja

Here is the code
I have not tested it.

You can give it a try.

VBA Code:
Sub test()
'Inset 2 columns in sheet time_series
Sheets("time_series").Select
Range("a:b").EntireColumn.Insert

'Vlookup in coulmn B
With Worksheets("time_series")
    With .Range("B2:B" & .Range("C" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)  'You can "c" as it will print the formula till the last raw
        .Formula = "=IF(ISBLANK(C2),INDEX(lookup_table!$A$2:$L$501,MATCH(time_series!D2,lookup_table!$K$2:$K$501,0),3),INDEX(lookup_table!$A$2:$L$501,MATCH(CONCATENATE(time_series!C2,"", "",time_series!D2),lookup_table!$K$2:$K$501,0),3))"
        '.Value = .Value
     End With
End With

'Vlookup in coulmn A
With Worksheets("time_series")
    With .Range("A2:A" & .Range("C" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)  'You can "c" as it will print the formula till the last raw
        .Formula = "=INDEX(code!$A$2:$D$350,MATCH(time_series!B2,code!$A$2:$A$350,0),2)"
        '.Value = .Value
     End With
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
It works like a charm! I will play with creating a pivot table with macro. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back