Macro help please - automatic copy, paste, print, next

enigmam

Hello

I'm in need of some macro help, and I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have a spreadsheet with two main tabs. One is full of data, mainly a unique reference number and columns of data related to that unique reference number. The main tab, is a form with a place to input a unique reference number. Once the unique number is entered the form is filled automatically.

There are around 2,000 unique numbers in column D in the "data" tab. I need a macro to copy the unique reference number in column D, row 3, paste it into the "main" tab say H2, then let the spreadsheet update, then print the main tab. Then copy the unique reference number in column D, row 4, paste it into the "main" tab H2, then let the spreadsheet update, then print........ all the way until the last unique reference number has been done around column D row 2000.

The one strange thing I know I am going to have trouble with is the unique number starts with several zeros, some with less than others. When I copy and paste the cell, sometimes it removes the zeros.

I really have no idea where to start and any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi and Welcome :D

Assuming the form will update auotmatically on entry into Cell H2 and you actually want to print 2000 sheets then

Code:
Sub print2000()
Dim lst As Long
    lst = Sheets("Data").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For i = 3 To lst
        With Sheets("Main")
            .Range("H2") = Sheets("Data").Range("D" & i)
            .PrintOut
        End With
    Next i

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's brilliant, thanks for your help.

I'm hoping to learn macro/vba, so I'll have a good luck through the above to see if I can learn from it.

One quick more quick question though if that's OK. I can kind of understand most of what the macro/script (?) does, I can see what to change if I suddenly need to amend the input cell for example. I take it if I work out I need to print, for example 1876 times, it will print just one copy each and stop when it runs out of data. Also the print2000, is that just the name of the macro?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, the macro does that by assessing lst which is the last used cell in column D of data sheet. You do not need to figure this out for yourself, Happy days :)

Upvote 0
I'll breakdown each step

Rich (BB code):
Sub print2000() 'This line is just the name of the macro, nothing else
Dim lst As Long 'You can use Integer here as you only have 2000 rows
    lst = Sheets("Data").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row 'Find last row in Data sheet

For i = 3 To lst 'loop from 3 to the last row
        With Sheets("Main")
            .Range("H2") = Sheets("Data").Range("D" & i) ' Range H2 can be changed to suit your needs as can the column D reference
            .PrintOut 'The sheet has been updated so print
        End With
    Next i ' Next row please

End Sub

Upvote 0
That's fantastic.

Thanks very much for all your help and for going to the trouble of breaking it down step by step for me.

Much appreciated :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back