Macro - If Statement

michael_allen_24

Board Regular
Hello, I need some help. I am not very experienced at writing macros and I cannot figure this one out so any help would be much appreciated. I am trying to create a macro that checks whether a value in Cell C2 is either "Rec" or "Spec". And then depending on that result, copy the value from cell D1 or I1 and paste it into the either filter C19:E19 or G19:J19. It works when I take the second IF argument out but when I put them both in, it does not. And if I put the End If after the first or second argument, it give me the compile error: end if without block if. Not sure what I am doing wrong, it’s probably something very basic. Again any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.</SPAN>

' If ActiveSheet.Range("C2") = "Rec" Then</SPAN>
Range("D1").Select</SPAN>
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]"</SPAN>
Range("D1").Select</SPAN>
Selection.Copy</SPAN>
ActiveSheet.Range("$C$19:$AF$1205").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=Range("D1").Value</SPAN>
Range("C19:E19").Select</SPAN>

' If ActiveSheet.Range("C2") = "Spec" Then</SPAN>
Range("I1").Select</SPAN>
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]"</SPAN>
Range("I1").Select</SPAN>
Selection.Copy</SPAN>
ActiveSheet.Range("$C$19:$AF$1205").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=Range("I1").Value</SPAN>
Range("C19:E19").Select</SPAN>

End Sub</SPAN>

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Try the below (untested) code:

Code:
Sub b()
Dim Criteria
With ActiveSheet
Select Case .Range("C2")
    Case "Rec"
        Criteria = .Range("C1").Value

Case "Spec"
        Criteria = .Range("H1").Value
End Select
.Range("$C$19:$AF$1205").AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:=Criteria
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks. It didn't quite work. Sorry I am learning as we go. I think that my code above was misleading because depending on what is in cell C2 (Rec or Spec), the resulting value will be pasted into a separate filter. According to your formula above, it is pasting the value of C1 or H1 into </SPAN>AutoFilter field:=1. </SPAN></SPAN>

What should happen is the value of C1 should be pasted into AutoFilter field:=1 and the value of H1 should be pasted into AutoFilter field:=14.</SPAN></SPAN>

How do I work that into the code?</SPAN></SPAN>

Hopefully that makes sense and thanks again for your help.</SPAN></SPAN>

Upvote 0
Thanks. It didn't quite work. Sorry I am learning as we go. I think that my code above was misleading because depending on what is in cell C2 (Rec or Spec), the resulting value will be pasted into a separate filter. According to your formula above, it is pasting the value of C1 or H1 into AutoFilter field:=1.

What should happen is the value of C1 should be pasted into AutoFilter field:=1 and the value of H1 should be pasted into AutoFilter field:=14.

How do I work that into the code?

Hopefully that makes sense and thanks again for your help.

Like this?

Code:
Sub b()
Dim Criteria
With ActiveSheet
    Select Case .Range("C2")
        Case "Rec"
            .Range("$C$19:$AF$1205").AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:=.Range("C1").Value

Case "Spec"
            .Range("$C$19:$AF$1205").AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:=.Range("H1").Value
    End Select

End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back