Macro makes mistakes when ScreenUpdating etc. = False.

Charleton

Hello,

I have a .xlsm - and if I freeze the screen with code, it makes errors. Everything is run from sheet "Mainscreen".

My issue is it seems by freezing the screen, it does not give me all data. Only 2 of 8 rows it would give me without screen freezing, at most. It works perfectly without issue unless I try to freeze the screen. (This is an isolated part of a much larger project, and everything has been tested ALOT, - I can confirm the data, and the results. I have run it isolated, and in concert, and both ways, it works perfectly until this code is active in this module, or it is called by a subroutine with this code in it.)

Specifically, I have a variant number of rows on a sheet "NOC" with an array of data in columns B:K - B is the index column for my reports.

I need to copy all ranges B:K on this worksheet "NOC" and paste them starting with Row B12 on Worksheet "P5A" Worksheet , which will generally have more than 100 and less than 10000 rows. However, it would be nigh impossible for there to be 500 rows on the same "P5A" form. I also need to get the values from range "L:O" that row in Worksheet "NOC" into the range B5:B8 on the "P5A" worksheet. - This will always be the same for any rows with the same value in Column B, so it only needs to happen before the file is saved. I then need to save a copy of the P5A form into a folder, and blank out the P5A form and do the next one.

My Code works, until it doesn't - for some reason, when I try to add (and later remove, of course) the code to not make the screen change, it fails to capture all lines. It only catches two of eight lines for one value in column B. If I error out this code, it works flawlessly.

Everything works fine until I add in the true and false Application display and screen updating etc.

I would appreciate any help in troubleshooting this annoyance, or helping me streamline my code.

Code:
Public Sub PRODUCE_P5A()

'This Code messes up data accuracy???
'Application.DisplayAlerts = False
'Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'On Error Resume Next

'----- Works from the "Mainscreen" unless screen is not updating

‘Declare Variables
Dim StrINDEX As String ' Column B in all sheets being used
Dim P5ALastRow As Long ' To find last row where Column B has a value in sheet P5A
Dim NOCLastRow As Long ' To find last row where Column B has a value in sheet NOC
Dim i As Integer ' Count for For Next

‘Sort NOC worksheet by INDEX – Column B
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("NOC").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("NOC").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range( _
        "B2:B59571"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:= _
        xlSortNormal
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("NOC").Sort
        .SetRange Range("A1:O59571")
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

'Ready Worksheet "P5A"
Worksheets("P5A").Range("B12:K10000").ClearContents
Worksheets("P5A").Range("B5:B8").ClearContents

‘------Create P5A NOC forms------

Sheets("NOC").Activate
Cells(2, 2).Select

StrINDEX = ActiveCell.Value

NOCLastRow = Worksheets("NOC").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row ' Find Bottom Row
P5ALastRow = Worksheets(“P5A”).Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row ' Find Bottom Row

For i = 2 To NOCLastRow + 1

P5ALastRow = Worksheets("P5A").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row ' Find Bottom Row

If Cells(i, 2) = StrINDEX Then
                Range(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, 11)).Copy
                 Worksheets("P5A").Range("B" & P5ALastRow + 1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

Else

Worksheets("P5A").Range("B5") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("L" & i)
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B6") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("M" & i)
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B7") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("N" & i)
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B8") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("O" & i)

Sheets(P5A).Select
                Application.CutCopyMode = False

Sheets(P5A).Copy
                 ChDir "C:\OPS\P5A"
                 ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\OPS\P5A\" & StrINDEX & "-NOC.xlsx", FileFormat:= _
                xlOpenXMLWorkbook, CreateBackup:=False, ReadOnlyRecommended:=True
                ActiveWorkbook.Close

Workbooks("WORKBOOK.xlsm").Activate
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B12:K1000").ClearContents
                Worksheets("NOC").Activate
                Cells(i, 2).Select
                 Worksheets(“P5A”).Range("B12").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

End If

Next i

End If

Next i

Sheets("Mainscreen").Activate

'----- End of Working Code

'This Code messes up data accuracy???
'Application.DisplayAlerts = True
'Application.ScreenUpdating = True
'On Error Resume Next

End Sub

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
The problem is more likely caused by unqualified references and the use of Activate/Select both of which can have an impact on which sheet/range/workbook the code is executed on.

For example, which worksheet is Cells(i, 2) referring to here?
Code:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This
Everything is run from sheet "Mainscreen".
is not correct in that you have
Code:
Sheets("NOC").Activate
everything after that line is run from the NOC sheet unless otherwise specified.

Upvote 0
That is what the line before the For Next Loop establishes:

Sheets("NOC").Activate

The code executes accurately and perfectly as long as the screen updating is True. I need it to be false.

The problem is more likely caused by unqualified references and the use of Activate/Select both of which can have an impact on which sheet/range/workbook the code is executed on.

For example, which worksheet is Cells(i, 2) referring to here?
Code:

Upvote 0
This Macro is called from a Button on the sheet "Mainscreen" - this is why it has the Sheets("Mainscreen").Activate line right before screen updating would come back on.

I am under the impression I need to activate other sheets to get this done, but it that not so? Thanks!

This is not correct in that you have
Code:
Sheets("NOC").Activate
everything after that line is run from the NOC sheet unless otherwise specified.

Upvote 0
You very rarely need to active or select anything. You can do it something like
Code:
With Sheets("NOC")
   StrINDEX = .Cells(2, 2).Value

NOCLastRow = Worksheets("NOC").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row ' Find Bottom Row
   P5ALastRow = Worksheets("P5A").Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row ' Find Bottom Row

If .Cells(i, 2) = StrINDEX Then
         .Range(.Cells(i, 2), .Cells(i, 11)).Copy

Else

Worksheets("P5A").Range("B5") = .Range("L" & i)
         Worksheets("P5A").Range("B6") = .Range("M" & i)
         Worksheets("P5A").Range("B7") = .Range("N" & i)
         Worksheets("P5A").Range("B8") = .Range("O" & i)

Sheets("P5A").Copy
         ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:="C:\OPS\P5A\" & StrINDEX & "-NOC.xlsx", FileFormat:= _
         ActiveWorkbook.Close

StrINDEX = .Cells(i, 2).Value
         .Range(.Cells(i, 2), .Cells(i, 11)).Copy
         Worksheets("P5A").Range("B12").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
      End If
   Next i
End With
Also turning screenupdatng to False will not affect your code & the code you posted cannot "work" as there are a number of problems with it.

Upvote 0
I changed all the worksheet references in the main workbook ".Activate" to ".Select" and it works flawlessly. Thanks for the update.

I know it may be hard to believe - but that gives me the accurate output I need, after over 100 test iterations. And I get the same ones as before, but now can have screen frozen.
What problems do you see wrong with my code(Curious/Learning, not Defensive tone)?

Upvote 0
Errors highlighted in red, with comments
Code:
Sheets("NOC").Activate
Cells(2, 2).Select

P5ALastRow = Worksheets([COLOR=#ff0000]“P5A”[/COLOR]).Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row [COLOR=#0000ff]'incorrect quotes on sheet name
 [/COLOR]

Else

Worksheets("P5A").Range("B5") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("L" & i)
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B6") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("M" & i)
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B7") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("N" & i)
                Worksheets("P5A").Range("B8") = Worksheets("NOC").Range("O" & i)

Sheets[COLOR=#ff0000](P5A)[/COLOR].Select [COLOR=#0000ff]' no quotes around the sheet name[/COLOR]

Sheets[COLOR=#ff0000](P5A)[/COLOR].Copy[COLOR=#0000ff] ' no quotes around the sheet name[/COLOR]
                 ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:="C:\OPS\P5A\" & StrINDEX & "-NOC.xlsx", FileFormat:= _
                ActiveWorkbook.Close

Workbooks("WORKBOOK.xlsm").Activate
                Worksheets("NOC").Activate
                Cells(i, 2).Select
                 Worksheets([COLOR=#ff0000]“P5A”[/COLOR]).Range("B12").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues [COLOR=#0000ff]'incorrect quotes on sheet name
   [/COLOR]
    End If

Next i

[COLOR=#ff0000] End If [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]' this line and...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Next i[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]' this line are duplicated with no starting If or loop[/COLOR]

Sheets("Mainscreen").Activate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you post the code that uses Select rather than Activate?

PS If you use neither it's not really necessary to turn off screen updating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,

Sorry these mistakes are due to me having to edit my code before I put it up here; specifically I needed to use place holders for sheet names and variables. Those are typos. The reason for two "End If" and "Next i" is because of code redactions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back