Macro Maxing Out CPU

andybason

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

I have the macro below that works ok but tends to max out my cpu. From testing I have identified the following section as the main cause:

VBA Code:
'Count the last cell where to start copying
Dim b As Long
b = 2
For i = 2 To 100000
If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 1) <> "" Then
b = b + 1
End If
Next i

I have researched the problem and think that something like the following would be more efficient:

VBA Code:
b = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row + 1

The problem is that I don't know how to integrate this into the macro.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Columns.Count <> 16 Then Exit Sub

Dim KeyCells As Range
    Set Target = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F2")
' The variable KeyCells contains the cells that will
    ' cause an alert when they are changed.
    Set KeyCells = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:P50")

'If ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F2") = "Closed" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Q2") <> -5 Then
    'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Q2").Value = 30
    'End If

'If ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E2") = "Not In Play" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F2") = "" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("AA5").Value > 350 Then
    'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Q2").Value = 30
    'End If

'If ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E2") = "Not In Play" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F2") = "" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("AA5").Value < 350 Then
    'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Q2").Value = 1
    'End If

'If ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E2") = "In Play" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F2") = "" Then
    'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Q2").Value = 1
    'End If

If Not Application.Intersect(KeyCells, Range(Target.Address)) _
           Is Nothing Then

'Count the cells to copy
Dim a As Integer
a = 0
For i = 5 To 12
If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 1) <> "" Then
a = a + 1
End If
Next i

'Count the last cell where to start copying
Dim b As Long
b = 2
For i = 2 To 100000
If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 1) <> "" Then
b = b + 1
End If
Next i

Dim c As Integer
c = 5
'Perform the copy paste process
Application.EnableEvents = False
For i = b To b + a - 1

If ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E2") <> "" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F2") = "" And ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("AB5") = "35" Then
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 1) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(3, 14)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 2) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(2, 2)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 3) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 1)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 4) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(2, 5)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 5) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 26)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 6) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 1)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 7) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 6)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 8) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 8)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 9) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 15)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 10) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 16)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 11) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(3, 2)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 12) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 7)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 13) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 2)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 14) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 3)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 15) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 4)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 16) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 5)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 17) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 9)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 18) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 12)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 19) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 13)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 20) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 10)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 21) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 11)
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data").Cells(i, 22) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c, 25)

c = c + 1
End If
Next i
Application.EnableEvents = True

End If

End Sub

to get rid of the #N/A change this line:
VBA Code:
.Range(.Cells(b + 1, 1), .Cells(b + 1 + a, 22)) = outarr

to
VBA Code:
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Range(.Cells(b + 1, 1), .Cells(b + a, 22)) = outarr
I have checked my code and it is doing exactly what I expected and is working correctly once you have made the above modfication. The other problems you have got are to do with how you a triggering the code, which is combined with the code you have got in the worksheet calculate event. This is an entirely different probelm to causing your cpu to max out. That problem is solved by my code. Unfortunately I don't have time to solve your triggering problem so I suggest you start a new thread to solve that problem.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back