Macro Needed - Create File For Every Change

CyrusTheVirus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone, been a minute since I've posted, but need some VBA help.

What I need is a macro that will create a file for every change in supervisor and have that file named after the supervisor. I have this data in a table. So basically, what I need is this.

Starting Data:

1667260103360.png

I need the macro to take the header (always take the header) down to the last row of the first supervisor (Adams, Samuel), and take all the data from the header to Samuel Adam and create a new workbook with that data in it, save it to a folder already created on the desktop titled 'Supervisors', and then name that file 'Adams, Samuel', and save it within that folder. So the file would like look below.

1667260249595.png

THEN, the macro goes to the next person and does the same thing. So takes the header, then finds the next supervisor (Smith, John), copies that data, saves file into folder etc., so the new file saved in the folder would look like below.

1667260301796.png

It would then go through the entire worksheet for every change in supervisor and do the same thing. Who can help me?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi there,

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim objSupervisors As Object
    Dim varSupervisor As Variant
    Dim lngRow As Long, lngLastRow As Long
    Dim wsSrcTab As Worksheet
    Dim strSavePath As String
    Dim wbNew As Workbook

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set objSupervisors = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    Set wsSrcTab = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") '<-Sheet name containing data to be split. Change to suit.
    strSavePath = "C:\VBA Examples" '<-Path where the individual files will be saved. Change to suit.
    lngLastRow = wsSrcTab.Range("A:E").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

strSavePath = IIf(Right(strSavePath, 1) <> "\", strSavePath & "\", strSavePath)

For lngRow = 2 To lngLastRow
        If Not objSupervisors.Exists(CStr(wsSrcTab.Range("A" & lngRow))) Then
            objSupervisors.Add CStr(wsSrcTab.Range("A" & lngRow)), lngRow
        End If
    Next lngRow

For Each varSupervisor In objSupervisors
        Set wbNew = Workbooks.Add(1) 'Create a new workbook with only one sheet
        wsSrcTab.Range("$A$1:$E$" & lngLastRow).AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=CStr(varSupervisor), Operator:=xlFilterValues
        wsSrcTab.Range("$A$1:$E$" & lngLastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy Destination:=wbNew.Sheets(1).Range("A1")
        wbNew.Sheets(1).Columns.AutoFit
        'Save the newly created workbook with a xlsx extension
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False 'Will overwrite an existing file in the 'strSavePath' directory no questions asked. Comment out if not required.
            wbNew.SaveAs strSavePath & CStr(varSupervisor) & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=51 '51 = xlOpenXMLWorkbook (without macro's in 2007-2016, xlsx)
            wbNew.Close
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Next varSupervisor

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

MsgBox "There has been " & Format(objSupervisors.Count, "#,##0") & " supervisor files created in:" & vbNewLine & strSavePath, vbInformation

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Though, I'm getting a run-time error (below). It looks like it creates the new workbook and pastes the data, then the error pops up, so it doesn't get to the stage of saving the workbook to the folder, closing the new workbook, or going to the next supervisor. Thoughts?

1667306429136.png

Upvote 0
That's odd as it worked for me :confused:

Are you saving to a Windows directory i.e. the path has back slashes and not forward slashes like a SharePoint directory? Try stepping through the code by pressing F8 on from anywhere within the code and see which line is causing the issue.

Upvote 0
Beautiful, it look like it worked, I just needed to tweak the file path. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Beautiful, it look like it worked, I just needed to tweak the file path. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting us know and you're welcome :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back