Macro not run properly after suspend while macro is running

Cakz Primz

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear all,

We have a workbook with a macro to filter & copy from another workbook, name of the file is BurnDown.xlsb. The file is in share folder, but it is not a shared file.
A friend of mine, Carmelo open the BurnDown.xlsb file, run the macro and then he suspend the macro. Since then, when he run the macro it gave me "debug" error.

While the same file, open and run the macro from my laptop have no issue at all. It is working.
Is there anybody can help, what is the problem with Carmelo's laptop and Excel. What can I do to make the macro run again in Carmelo's laptop?
Do we need to restart the his laptop?

Thank you very much
prima - Indonesia

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Are both computers running the same version of office? That would be my first question to look into.

I have seen really stupid things change for no reason in at all in Excel VBA. It could be something as simple as a charts Y data use to be called 'Series' in VBA (2010) and is now called 'FullSeries' (2013). That was just an example, I dont know if this was a real think with graphs, but I seem to remember something like that happening in the past to me.

Upvote 0
Are both computers running the same version of office? That would be my first question to look into.

I have seen really stupid things change for no reason in at all in Excel VBA. It could be something as simple as a charts Y data use to be called 'Series' in VBA (2010) and is now called 'FullSeries' (2013). That was just an example, I dont know if this was a real think with graphs, but I seem to remember something like that happening in the past to me.
Dear frabulator,

We are using the same office version, MS Office 365

Thank you
prima - Indonesia

Upvote 0
Dear frabulator,

We are using the same office version, MS Office 365

Thank you
prima - Indonesia
Okay, thats a good starting point.

Next, because this seems to be an isolated occurrence with a semi shared book/folder, I would take the following steps. I have also explained why under each one.

1. Completely restart the computer. This is a hard power off, remove the battery (if laptop), hold down the powerbutton to discharge all electricity, plug battery back in and power back on. If this is a tower, do the same thing but with the power cord.
The reason for this is because Excel might be having multiple working/vba applications running the background. The alternative to this would be to search the Task Manager and end every process that could be related to Excel. It is much easier to just do a hard power off. Once turned back on, these background applications should be stopped.

2. If 1 doesn't work, try and make an unprotected version of the macro/workbook in question and move that version to his computer. Completely disable his wifi/connection to the work network and try to run it again.
The reason for this is because if the workbook/macro is protected, and an error happens, Excel will not allow him access to see what is going on. being unlocked, Excel should error out and give you an exact location of the subroutine in question, hopefully even the exact line number too.
The reason for not being connected to the network is because the workbook/macro might be trying to access a shared file. If there is an infinite loop in the code, or an error that would cause a misread, this could cause the workbook to crash and/or not respond. Having this turned off would bypass this and allow it to continue.

Sorry if that was a little wordy. When I was faced with issues like this, those were the first two steps I took to narrow down the issue.

Upvote 0
Solution
Dear frabulator,

I suggested my friend to restart his laptop, and restart MS Excel based on your suggestion. Run the macro again, and somehow it worked !!
Problem solved.

Thanks a lot, thank you so much.
Prima - Indonesia

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back