macro not working on some computers

Babynana

Hello, I'm new to everything. We had a person that use to work for us that wrote some macros to scrape information from Rocket Software's Bluezone. Last Tuesday, most of the computers wouldn't let the excel script run. There were 3 that would. One a new desktop, one an older desktop and my laptop. On the ones that it isn't working on, it is like the excel sheet doesn't connect to the bluezone anymore. I have looked at every setting I can think of and they all appear to be the same with all the same trusts. I received an overflow error but it looks like all the integers are already changed to LONG which is something I read with overflow errors. Any one have an ideas I can try? Thank You

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Some of the computers may be missing needed libraries.
Go to a computer where it DOES work, and go into the VB Editor, and then go to the Tools menu,and select References.
Note all the references that are selected.

Now, do the same on a computer where it is not working, and see if all the same libraries are selected. If not, you may need to find them in the list and select them.

Upvote 0
Some of the computers may be missing needed libraries.
Go to a computer where it DOES work, and go into the VB Editor, and then go to the Tools menu,and select References.
Note all the references that are selected.

Now, do the same on a computer where it is not working, and see if all the same libraries are selected. If not, you may need to find them in the list and select them.

Thank you for the response.

I did that. They are all checked accept on the ones that do not work it says something like Microsoft excel 16 objects. The ones that do work show the same except 14 objects.

Hmmm. Not sure what that means or how to change it.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the one that does work is user newer versions of Excel (and the ones that don't work are using older versions).
It is possible that you are using some newer functionality that is not available on lower versions.
Whenever creating Excel files that are going to be used by people using different versions of Excel, it is typically best to create it on the oldest version of Excel. The newer versions can usually run the older versions without problems, but the same cannot always be said about the opposite.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the one that does work is user newer versions of Excel (and the ones that don't work are using older versions).
It is possible that you are using some newer functionality that is not available on lower versions.
Whenever creating Excel files that are going to be used by people using different versions of Excel, it is typically best to create it on the oldest version of Excel. The newer versions can usually run the older versions without problems, but the same cannot always be said about the opposite.

My laptop has the same version, office 2016. The older desk top doesn’t it has 2010 with a version of 14 point something. I have other computers like the old one and can’t get it to run on them either. . It was created two years ago and been working fine until last week. I know we received some type of Microsoft patch the Thursday before it went to heck.

Upvote 0
Not really sure. It is hard to try to debug code you cannot see.
Have you tried stepping through the code line-by-line (using the F8 button) to see where things might be going awry?

Upvote 0
I will try that. I'll sit my laptop next to one that isn't working and go line for line. It doesn't even try and start the bluezone scrape. It is supposed to clear the screen first and on the ones it doesn't work on, it doesn't do anything. It's like it has lost connectivity to the bluezone. Which I wonder if that has anything to do with objects that is in the reference area. Like 2 extra objects were added and it goes there first and then doesn't come back. thanks for the ideas

Upvote 0
AND
when / if you find lines of code that don't comply, post the code back here with those lines highlighted, so we can maybe help with a solution !

Upvote 0
Sounds like their could be a connection to BlueZone issue, which may not have anything to do with the code, but may be some computer settings.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back