Macro: open files in multiple folders and run defined macro

jcrawford

What I am trying to accomplish is have a macro that runs from "personal" searches through multiple folders and sub folders, which are set up identical for all agents, and runs the predefined macro on each workbook in a folder with a defined name.

What I would like the macro to open, run, save and close for each sales agent for the current period.

The code posted below runs the macro current if I input the name of the final address and run the macro but I would like to automate this step. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Example Address: U:\Sales Folder\Year\Working Folders\ Division Folder\Sales Agent Folder\Current Period

Wanted effect: U:\Sales Folder\Year\Working Folders\*\*\Current Period

Code:
Sub RunCodeOnAllXLSFiles()

MyFile = "File Address Here"

Dim lCount As Long

Dim wbResults As Workbook

Dim wbCodeBook As Workbook

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Application.EnableEvents = False

On Error Resume Next

Set wbCodeBook = activeworkbook

With Application.FileSearch

.NewSearch

'Change path to suit

.LookIn = MyFile

.FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks

.Filename = "*.xls"

If .Execute > 0 Then 'Workbooks in folder

For lCount = 1 To .FoundFiles.count 'Loop through all.

'Open Workbook x and Set a Workbook variable to it

Set wbResults = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=.FoundFiles(lCount), UpdateLinks:=0)

Call My Macro

wbResults.Close SaveChanges:=True

Next lCount

End If

End With

On Error GoTo 0

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the Board!

How can you tell the macro what the Division, Sales Agent and Current Period are? Are they stored in a workbook somewhere? If so you can reference cells ranges in the file path like this:

<font face=Tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> RunCodeOnAllXLSFiles()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ws <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MyFile <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> lCount <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wbResults <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Workbook, wbCodeBook <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Workbook<br><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Application<br>            .ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>            .DisplayAlerts = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>            .EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wbCodeBook = ActiveWorkbook<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> ws = Sheets("Sheet1")<br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Change path to suit</SPAN><br>            MyFile = "U:\Sales Folder\Year\Working Folders\" & ws.Range("A1") & "\" & ws.Range("A2") & "\Current Period"<br><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .FileSearch<br>                .NewSearch<br>                .LookIn = MyFile<br>                .FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks<br>                .Filename = "*.xls"<br>                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> .Execute > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Workbooks in folder</SPAN><br>                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> lCount = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .FoundFiles.Count <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Loop through all.</SPAN><br>                            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Open Workbook x and Set a Workbook variable to it</SPAN><br>                            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wbResults = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=.FoundFiles(lCount), UpdateLinks:=0)<br>                                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Call</SPAN> MyMacro<br>                                wbResults.Close SaveChanges:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> lCount<br>                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br><br>        .ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        .DisplayAlerts = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        .EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0
Thank you Smitty for both the warm welcome and they idea I think I still I need a little help getting there. The current code allows me to enter a single agent at a time without updating my actual code, what I would really like to do is have this loop for list of agents.

Range("A1:C500").Select

For Each Row in Selection

MyFile = "U:\Sales Folder\Year\Working Folders\" & ws.Range("A" & Row) & "\" & ws.Range("B" & Row) & "\ws.Range("C" & Row)"

Next Row

Were am I going wrong?

Upvote 0
It's best off not to select if you don't have to, so you can define the loop without it. I amended it and left your original MyFile line so you could compare:

<font face=Tahoma>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 500<br>                <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Change path to suit</SPAN><br>                MyFile = "U:\Sales Folder\Year\Working Folders\" & ws.Range("A" & i) & "\" & ws.Range("B" & i) & "\" & ws.Range("C" & i)<br>                <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'MyFile = "U:\Sales Folder\Year\Working Folders\" & ws.Range("A" & Row) & "\" & ws.Range("B" & Row) & "\ws.Range("C" & Row)"</SPAN><br>    <br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .FileSearch<br>                    .NewSearch<br>                    .LookIn = MyFile<br>                    .FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks<br>                    .Filename = "*.xls"<br>                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> .Execute > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Workbooks in folder</SPAN><br>                            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> lCount = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .FoundFiles.Count <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Loop through all.</SPAN><br>                                <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Open Workbook x and Set a Workbook variable to it</SPAN><br>                                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wbResults = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=.FoundFiles(lCount), UpdateLinks:=0)<br>                                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Call</SPAN> MyMacro<br>                                    wbResults.Close SaveChanges:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>                            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> lCount<br>                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br></FONT>

Especially note this part:

"\ws.Range("C" & Row)"

Which the VBE will interpret as a literal string, not part of your loop.

You'll also want to add ", i as Long" in your declarations section after ICount.

And you want to avoiding using variables like "Row" as it's already a VBA property.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Truly Amazing. Thank you Smitty it now works like a charm! For anyone else out there that needs to run a macro across multiple folders here is the final working code.

Note: Copy and pasting the name of each variable into your spreadsheet list helps prevent those pesky syntax errors. I spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong with the code, when nothing was, because I missed a "-" no reason for anyone else to make the same mistake.

Code:
Sub RunCodeOnAllXLSFiles()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim MyFile As String
    Dim lCount As Long
    Dim i As Long
    Dim wbResults As Workbook, wbCodeBook As Workbook

With Application
            .ScreenUpdating = False
            .DisplayAlerts = False
            .EnableEvents = False

On Error Resume Next

Set wbCodeBook = ActiveWorkbook
            Set ws = Sheets("Sheet1")

'Change path to suit

LastRow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row
            For i = i To LastRow
                'Change path to suit
                MyFile = "H:\Operation Analyse\2009 budgets\Yr2009 Working Folders\" _
                 & ws.Range("A" & i) & "\" & ws.Range("B" & i) & "\" & ws.Range("C" & i)

With .FileSearch
                .NewSearch
                .LookIn = MyFile
                .FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks
                .Filename = "*.xls"
                    If .Execute > 0 Then 'Workbooks in folder
                        For lCount = 1 To .FoundFiles.count 'Loop through all.
                            'Open Workbook x and Set a Workbook variable to it
                            Set wbResults = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=.FoundFiles(lCount), UpdateLinks:=0)
                                Call mymacro

wbResults.Close SaveChanges:=True
                        Next lCount
                    End If
            End With

On Error GoTo 0
            Next i
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .DisplayAlerts = True
        .EnableEvents = True
    End With

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back