MACRO PROBLEM: How to add error handling if pivot table already exists on sheet

cgeorge4

Board Regular
Using Excel 2007 at home / Excel 2010 at work
Window 7

The code below is a recorded code that creates a pivot table on the same sheet as the data. I added and changed some lines of code where necessary with no problem.

PROBLEM: I'm not sure where to place the first "error handling" line of code - or exactly what type of error handling code it should be.

I need a message box to alert the user that a pivot table already exists on the sheet. The exact message should be as follows:

"A Supplier Pivot Table(s) already exists. Please delete and run code again."

The message box should just have a button for "Okay". Then closes.

The user will manually clear or delete the pivot tables that need to be cleared or deleted from the sheet - after that they will run the code again.

IMPORTANT: I don't want to add a code to delete all existing pivots on the sheet because there are 3 to 4 small pivots on the sheet that should not be removed.

Thanks for your help in advance:biggrin: Thanks!

Code:
Sub pivot()'

Dim FinalRow As Long
Dim FinalCol As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With ActiveSheet

FinalRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
FinalCol = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Row

ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:= _
        "PSRV!R1C2:R" & FinalRow & "C16", Version:=xlPivotTableVersion12).CreatePivotTable _
        TableDestination:="PSRV!R23C20", TableName:="PivotTable9", DefaultVersion _
        :=xlPivotTableVersion12
    Sheets("APSRV").Select
    Cells(24, 21).Select
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").AddDataField ActiveSheet.PivotTables( _
        "PivotTable9").PivotFields("Site Code"), "Count of Site", xlCount
    With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").PivotFields("Usual vs Open")
        .Orientation = xlPageField
        .Position = 1
    End With
    ActiveWorkbook.ShowPivotTableFieldList = False
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").PivotFields("Usual vs Open"). _
        CurrentPage = "(All)"
    With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").PivotFields("Usual vs Open")
        .PivotItems("Open").Visible = True
        .PivotItems("Rented").Visible = False
    End With
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").PivotFields("Usual vs Open"). _
        EnableMultiplePageItems = True
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").TableStyle2 = "PivotStyleLight1"

End With
    ActiveWorkbook.ShowPivotTableFieldList = False
    With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").PivotFields("Site")
        .Orientation = xlRowField
        .Position = 1

End With

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Put something like this at the start of your macro to detect if sheet APSRV already has a pivot table called PivotTable9. You may want to use a more unique pivot table name within the code.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] pivot()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] FinalRow [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] FinalCol [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] pt [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] PivotTable[/B]

[B]    [COLOR=darkblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Next[/COLOR][/B]
[B]    [COLOR=darkblue]Set[/COLOR] pt = Sheets("APSRV").PivotTables("PivotTable9")[/B]
[B]    [COLOR=darkblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]GoTo[/COLOR] 0[/B]
[B]    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Not[/COLOR] pt [COLOR=darkblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR][/B]
[B]        MsgBox "A Supplier Pivot Table(s) already exists. Please delete and run code again.", vbExclamation, "Pivot Table Exists"[/B]
[B]        [COLOR=darkblue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR][/B]
[B]    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR=green]'[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=green]'[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=green]'[/COLOR]

Upvote 1
Thank you Alpha Frog, your err handling code works perfectly. I added it just before the section of my code that creates my pivot table. The message box appears, but the VBA window appears after the "Okay" button is clicked. Not a good thing for other users to see:rolleyes:

I actually tried adding it directly after the section of code that creates the pivot as well - but that stopped the pivot from being created at all.

So, the error is definitely mine.

Please let me know where I should add it. I pasted my code below. If you could insert the err handler where it should go - I would be so happy and extremely grateful. Not being lazy, just so tired :(

Code:
Dim PT As PivotTable [COLOR=#a52a2a](was inserted here)[/COLOR]FinalRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).RowFinalCol = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Row        ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:= _        "PSRV!R1C2:R" & FinalRow & "C16", Version:=xlPivotTableVersion12).CreatePivotTable _        TableDestination:="PSRV!R23C20", TableName:="PivotTable9", DefaultVersion _        :=xlPivotTableVersion12    Sheets("APSRV").Select    Cells(24, 21).Select    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").AddDataField ActiveSheet.PivotTables( _        "PivotTable9").PivotFields("Site Code"), "Count of Site", xlCount    With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable9").PivotFields("Usual vs Open")        .Orientation = xlPageField        .Position = 1 
[COLOR=#574123]    End With[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Alpha Frog, I need to apologize. I knew what to do without even thinking.....sorry.
I've been working on projects all weekend and it is sooooo hot here...and I'm pooped :)

I added half of your error handling code to the beginning of mine - and the rest of it to the bottom. As I should have done before.
And I did use a generic pivot table name as you suggested.

Everything works perfectly! Here is what my code looks like now (in case anyone needs to see this)........AND THANK YOU!! {SOLVED}

Additional Note: I'll be adding this code to my existing macro toolbar add-in so other users won't see the VBA module by accident or on purpose:cool:

Code:
Dim FinalRow As Long
Dim FinalCol As Long
Dim PT As PivotTable

On Error Resume Next
    Set PT = Sheets("PSRV").PivotTables("PivotTablePSRV1")

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With ActiveSheeT

(The main part of my code goes here)

Code:
End With

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

On Error GoTo 0
    If Not PT Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "A Supplier Pivot Table(s) already exists. Please delete and run code again.", vbExclamation, "Pivot Table Exists"
        Exit Sub
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
If it works then great, but that's not how it was supposed to be used. Its all supposed to go at the start of the macro. I suspect there is another error in your original code, but I don't know what.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm....I will definitely consider that possibility.

I've deleted and added rows and columns to the data to make sure my code works all the time - and it does.
I've run the code several times making mistakes that another user might make - and the error handler works all the time.

I'll be using the same err handler on another project and I'll add it at the start of it - and see what happens.

Thank you again....and again!

Hey :) I don't know how to mark this thread as SOLVED. I'm looking everywhere:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back