Macro run through excel sheet only returns false

cfcooper

I've never posted on here before so let me know if you need more information. I'm also not an expert in coding but have been doing basic coding for awhile.
I created an inventory tracking sheet but some of the products were being entered more than once. I'm trying to create a find system that uses the formula ID number and the date last created that will change the font color if the product already exists in the table.

The macro runs great if I click run in the visual basic editor but will only return false results when I run it from the command button on the excel sheet. No errors pop-up.
I am using excel 2007

Code:
Sub FindItem()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Generated Samples")

Dim i As Long, Endrow As Long, answer As Integer, answer1 As Integer, answer2 As Integer

'Msg Box
If frmNewInv.ListFormulaID = "" Then
    answer = MsgBox("Please select a Formula ID number.", vbCritical, "Please Complete")
    Exit Sub
End If

Endrow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 7 To Endrow
        If ws.Cells(i, 1) = frmNewInv.ListFormulaID And ws.Cells(i, "H") = frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
            ws.Cells(i, 1).EntireRow.Font.ColorIndex = 3
            frmNewInv.Hide
            answer1 = MsgBox("Item Found.", vbOKCancel + vbInformation, "Found Item")
                If answer1 = vbOK Then
                    ws.Cells(i, 1).EntireRow.Font.ColorIndex = 1
                    frmNewInv.Show
                Else
                    Unload frmNewInv
                End If
        ElseIf ws.Cells(i, 1) = frmNewInv.ListFormulaID And ws.Cells(i, "H") <> frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
            answer2 = MsgBox("Item does not exist.", vbExclamation, "No Item Found")
        End If
    Next i

End Sub

When I run the code from the userform on the excel sheet, I choose a date and formulaID that at on the table and should return true (and does if run from the editor). So, i feel like the problem is in the "ws.Cells(i, "H") = frmNewInv.dtpFindDate" and possibly something with formatting?!?
The date is inputted into the table using the date-time picker and I am also using the dtpicker to choose a date to find with formaulaID in the table.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I have the following doubts.
Is ListFormulaID a combobox?
Is dtpFindDate a DTPicker Control?
The ID number only has numbers?
If the above is correct, then try the following:

Code:
Sub FindItem()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim i As Long, Endrow As Long, answer As Integer, answer1 As Integer, answer2 As Integer

'Msg Box
        answer = MsgBox("Please select a Formula ID number.", vbCritical, "Please Complete")
        Exit Sub
    End If

[COLOR=#0000ff]    If IsNumeric(frmNewInv.ListFormulaID) Then[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]        numID = Val(frmNewInv.ListFormulaID)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]    Else[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]        numID = frmNewInv.ListFormulaID[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]    End If[/COLOR]
    For i = 7 To Endrow
        If ws.Cells(i, 1) = [COLOR=#0000ff]numID [/COLOR]And ws.Cells(i, "H") = frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
            frmNewInv.Hide
            If answer1 = vbOK Then
                ws.Cells(i, 1).EntireRow.Font.ColorIndex = [COLOR=#0000ff]3[/COLOR]
                frmNewInv.Show
            Else
                Unload frmNewInv
            End If
        ElseIf ws.Cells(i, 1) = [COLOR=#0000ff]numID [/COLOR]And ws.Cells(i, "H") <> frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
        End If
    Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
The ListFormulaID is a combobox and is a mixture of letters and numbers (i.e. BCC-02 and CC-CG-04). The rowsource is a dynamic range created from the Formula ID column in the table so the user has the option of selecting an ID number that only exists in the table.

When a new item is entered into the table the user picks the date using the dtpicker box. The date is then entered into the table in a short format as 1/14/2019 which should equal ws.cells(i, "H").
When the user is trying to find the item, they select the formulaID number from the combobox then select the date using the dtpicker and click the command button named Find.

I've been using the same coding for the formulaID in other macros in the same sheet and have not had any problems. I'm going to try that the user just enter the date manually in the short format and will let you know if that works.

I know that the sub name does not have "Click" that is because I am calling the sub.

Upvote 0
DanteAmor,

I just changed the code for the user to enter the date manual as 1/14/2019 but the results still only return as false.
How I know is that I know the item exists in the table but the message box replies "Item does not exist." So it is finding the formulaID but cannot find a matching date.

Thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0
Try only with the number, if it works then we check what happens with the date.

Code:
Sub FindItem()

Dim ws As Worksheet

'Msg Box
        Exit Sub
    End If

If IsNumeric(frmNewInv.ListFormulaID) Then
        numID = Val(frmNewInv.ListFormulaID)
    Else
        numID = frmNewInv.ListFormulaID
    End If
    For i = 7 To Endrow
[COLOR=#0000ff]        If ws.Cells(i, 1) = numID  Then[/COLOR]
            frmNewInv.Hide
            If answer1 = vbOK Then
                frmNewInv.Show
            Else
                Unload frmNewInv
            End If
        ElseIf ws.Cells(i, 1) = numID And ws.Cells(i, "H") <> frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
        End If
    Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
DanteAmor,

The numID code came back with an error.

I took out the dtpicker from all my codes so when the user inserts a new item into the table they enter the date in manually and the Find Item code worked.

Upvote 0
DanteAmor,

The numID code came back with an error.

I took out the dtpicker from all my codes so when the user inserts a new item into the table they enter the date in manually and the Find Item code worked.

What error appears in the NumId?

What do you have in the numid, only numbers, then the search must be with numbers

Let's try only with the search of the numid.

Could you give an example of what you have on your sheet? Or, upload the file to a cloud to review the code and your values.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help DanteAmor,

I figured it out

Rich (BB code):
Sub FindItem()

Dim ws As Worksheet

'Msg Box
    Exit Sub
End If

frmNewInv.dtpFindDate.Value = Format(frmNewInv.dtpFindDate, "mm/dd/yyyy")
    For i = 7 To Endrow
        If ws.Cells(i, 1) = frmNewInv.ListFormulaID And ws.Cells(i, "H") = frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
            frmNewInv.Hide
                If answer1 = vbOK Then
                    frmNewInv.Show
                Else
                    Unload frmNewInv
                End If
        ElseIf ws.Cells(i, 1) = frmNewInv.ListFormulaID And ws.Cells(i, "H") <> frmNewInv.dtpFindDate Then
        End If
    Next i

End Sub

All I had to do was adjust the format the the datetime picker to get rid of the time that was after the date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back