macro saving and renaming

dlp

using excel 2003 on a mac
I wrote a macro and it works, the problem is that I saved it to the workbook, and it needs to be able to be used in other workbooks.

1) will adding a shortcut icon to the toolbar or adding the macro to a menu make it available to use in other files without having the workbook it was created in open?

2) I managed to add the macro to a menu, but I labelled it wrong is there a way to either remove it from the menu or to rename it?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
1) to make this accessable in EXCEL (regardless of what doc is open) add this macro to Personal.xls (the personal macro workbook)....

2) right click the macro button on the menu, and you will be able to rename the button

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Record a macro doing essentially nothing. When the Record dialog comes up you'll see "Store macro in:". Select "Personal Macro Workbook". Then stop recording. Excel will have created Personal.xls for you. You can then just drag your existing macro into there and it will be available whenever Excel is open.

Just make sure that you don't have any specific workbook references in your code or it will look for that WB instead of the active wb.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
excel for mac

The version I am using is excel 2004 and it is on a Mac computer.

1) I tried to do the right click and rename the item I added to the menu, however it doesn't work. I think this is because it is on a Mac. Is there a way to rename an item added to a menu on a Mac? I know that holding the control button down and clicking the mouse is the equivallent to a right mouse click, however the only thing I suceed in doing is running the macro.

2) The other question I have is about the personal excel workbook. I did as someone suggested, I created a macro that I don't intend to ever use and is very basic and saved it into my personal workbook, however I can't figure out how to add any other macros to the workbook. Is there a way to add existing macros from other workbooks into the personal workbook without having to re-write the macro again? This is on a Mac so maybe it is different the other computers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back