Macro Short Cut Keys (Ctrl Shift a-z) Not Working One-by-One

TRMMolloy

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have about 15 macro shortcut keys in Personal.xlsb to do simple tasks, but they are slowly but surely starting to be disabled. Last week, Ctrl-Shift-d (change pivot table detail table to range) stopped working; yesterday, Ctrl-Shift-z (change format of highlighted cells to "#,##0") stopped working.

I tried all of the suggestions in the various threads on MrExcel and elsewhere to no avail. So I ran a test (TLDR: demonstrating each step I took to solve problem):
1. Closed Excel, backed up personal.xlsb, erased it from the Excel Startup directory.
2. Rebooted.
3. Opened Excel, confirmed that there were no macros.
4. Recorded a new macro, setting the shortcut key to Ctrl Shift z (i.e. Shift z in the option box)
5. Created a simple macro:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+Z
'
Range("E4").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Hi there .. Isn't this fun"
Range("E6").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Yes"
Range("E7").Select
End Sub

6. Confirmed the macro works by using Macro window Run command on "PERSONAL.XLSB!Macro1"
7. Select blank sheet
8. Select Ctrl Shift z .... Nothing.

I ran through the usual sequence of confirming something was wrong:
- deleted shift z in the Macro Options window
- closed Excel (saving Personal Macro Workbook)
- opened Excel, confirmed no shortcut was assigned to Macro1 in Macro Options window
- closed Excel
- opened Excel
- assigned Ctrl Shift z to Macro1 in Macro Options window
- closed Macro window.
- Selected Ctrl Shift z .... Nothing.
- Confirmed that Macro1 works by running Personal.xlsb!Macro1 from the Macro window.
- Closed Excel (saving Personal Macro Workbook)
- Opened Excel
- Confirmed Ctrl Shift z assigned to Macro1 in Macro Options window
- Closed Macro window
- Selected Ctrl Shift z .... Nothing

What about a different letter?
- opened Macro Options window
- assigned Ctrl Shift s to Macro1
- closed Macro window
- Select Ctrl Shift s .... Macro Works!

- opened Macro Options window
- assigned Ctrl Shift z to Macro1
- closed Macro window
- Selected Ctrl Shift z .... Nothing

- I confirmed again that Ctrl Shift s runs the macro, Ctrl Shift z will not.

So something is preventing Ctrl Shift z from working (Ctrl Shift d, too), I just don't know where to look. Registry key, maybe?

Settings, etc:
Trust Center Macro Security Setting: Enable All Macros
Windows 10
Office 2016
Excel 64-bit

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I cannot confirm it now, but are you sure shortcut keys run a macro when the workbook containing it is not the current/active one?
Or if it is just a few letters that don't work - have you assigned them to other macros? Or have you installed something else that may have hijacked them?

Upvote 0
Maybe have a look at this post:

Upvote 0
This and the other macros are in my Personal Macro Workbook (personal.xlsb), and those macros are always active.

As I explained in the original post following "What about a different letter?", I can substitute "Shift s" for "Shift z" in the Macro Option window and the macro runs when Ctrl-Shift-s is selected. Change it back to "Shift z", and nothing happens when Ctrl-Shift-z is selected.

re: ".. if it is just a few letters that don't work - have you assigned them to other macros?" No, I have not assigned them to other macros.

re: "... have you installed something else that may have hijacked them?" I have not. Computer installations are controlled by corporate IT via the company VPN, and stuff gets installed all of the time. Microsoft issues a patch, they install it. I cannot recall if something was installed prior to Ctrl-Shift-d or Ctrl-Shift-z getting disabled. It is entirely possible something is hijacking the shortcut key sequences, but our IT people would not know where to look to determine it.

It is up to me to figure it out and petition them to change it on my machine.

Upvote 0
Maybe have a look at this post:
Thanks. Unfortunately, some of the links either generate an error, or my company internet access will not allow access.

Unfortunately #2: what none of the replies in that thread could provide insight on why Excel will not allow a new macro on a clean slate (i.e. no macros in Personal.XLSB) to be assigned to Ctrl-shift-z, while it will allow the same macro to be assigned to Ctrl-shift-s.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-020436_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-020436_Chrome.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back