Macro to break one (or all) link just in some files opened (not in other ones)

Massi_921

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,
I'm Massimiliano and I'm writing you from Italy, so sorry for my English, I'm not so good
For my job I have to manage a lot of Excel files and I'm creating a macro to help me do my work faster about opening and savings
Here below You can find the code I wrote, I know it is a bit rudimental but I'm just starting out

I have to open File A and File B which are linked to a Pivot in File 1. I open both file. Than I save with name File A and file B in a new directory
At this point I would break all the links in File A and in File B. I tried to do this but it doesn't work (See below "ActiveWorkbook.BreakLink Name:="Percorso file\File 1.xlsx", Type:=xlExcelLinks")

Could you please help me? I found different solutions in the web but I've the feeling that those would break links in all opened files including File 1 (which doesn't have to be changed)
The real point is that during the Macro, File 1 - in my opinion - must be open, and action of "breaklinks" have to be implemented just in File A and File B
Thank you so much
Massimiliano

Code:
Sub OPEN FILE A, FILE B AND FILE 1. SAVE WITH NAME FILE A AND FILE B IN A NEW DIRECTORY. BREAK LINKS IN FILE A AND FILE B

' OPEN FILE 1
'Application.Workbooks.Open Filename:="Percorso file 1\File 1.xlsx", UpdateLinks:=False

' OPEN FILE A
Application.Workbooks.Open Filename:="Percorso file A\File A.xlsx", UpdateLinks:=False

' OPEN FILE B
Application.Workbooks.Open Filename:="Percorso file B\File B.xlsx", UpdateLinks:=False

' SAVE WITH NAME FILE A AND FILE B OVERWRITING IN THE NEW DIRECTORY + ATTEMPT TO BREAK LINKS

‘ SAVE WITH NAME FILE A
Workbooks("File A.xlsx").SaveCopyAs Filename:="Nuovo percorso file A\File A.xlsx"

‘ OVERWRITE FILE A IN THE NEW DIRECTORY
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

‘ BREAK LINKS IN FILE A
ActiveWorkbook.BreakLink Name:="Percorso file\File 1.xlsx", Type:=xlExcelLinks

‘ SAVE WITH NAME FILE B
Workbooks("File B.xlsx").SaveCopyAs Filename:="Nuovo percorso file B\File B.xlsx"

‘ OVERWRITE FILE A IN THE NEW DIRECTORY
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

‘ BREAK LINKS IN FILE A
ActiveWorkbook.BreakLink Name:="Percorso file\File 1.xlsx", Type:=xlExcelLinks

End Sub

HI @LazyBug I couldn't resist and I turned off my office pc to test your job :)
I tried sub Massi_3 and it works perfectly! Genius!
I have just one problem: it asked a lot of time (about 20 minutes) and I thinks that it is because both "File A" and "File B" contains a lot of sheets with a lot of raws and columns. I try to tell you some additional info to understand if it is possible to make something to get a faster sub. Hope you don't hate me :)

In order to make the sub faster, is it possible to make the check of "File 1" in formulas just in two sheets we can call "Sheet X" and "Sheet Y" that are both in "File A" and "File B"? These files have different sheets but both have "Sheet X" and "Sheet Y"

In addiction, is it possible make this check just in some columns of the above mentioned sheets?
Because formulas containing link with "File 1" are contained just in some columns of "Sheet X" and "Sheet Y" with a regularity (i try to explain it to you: I have about 130 columns, starting from the 11° column (column K) I have the first formulas containing link to "File 1" (related with month of january) then after 11 columns (in column V) I have the other formulas linked to "File 1" (related with month of february) and so on --> it is because this columns contain real data of each months (coming from accounting and so from "File 1"); in the following columns after column "K" I have data of plan, forecast and last year and other columns with some analysis.

I don't know if it is possible to make what I am asking for to you

I'd like to ask for you what is "fres". I make a search on the web but I did not find anything. Just to understand :)
Thanks a lot for everything you've done for me until now, really great!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Try this for defined sheets, i havent look columns yet. And please write down if there’s a speed advantage.
VBA Code:
Sub Massi_4()
Dim NewPath As String
Dim wb As Workbook, sh As Worksheet, r As Range, c As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.Workbooks.Open "J:\TEST\File1.xls", 0
    Application.Workbooks.Open "J:\TEST\OLDPATH\FileB.xls", 1
    Application.Workbooks.Open "J:\TEST\OLDPATH\FileA.xls", 1
        For Each wb In Workbooks
            If wb.Name = "FileA.xls" Or wb.Name = "FileB.xls" Then
                For Each sh In wb.Worksheets

'verify sheet name
                    If sh.Name Like "Sheet_X" Or sh.Name Like "Sheet_Y" Then
                        On Error Resume Next
                        Dim str As String, fres As String
                            str = "File1"
                        Set r = Nothing
                        Set r = sh.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
                            Set c = r.Find(str, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart)
                                If Not c Is Nothing Then
                                    fres = c.Address
                                    Do
                                    c.Value = c.Value
                                        Set c = r.Find(str, after:=c, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart)
                                If c Is Nothing Then Exit Do
                            Loop While c.Address <> fres
                        End If
                    End If

Next sh

NewPath = "J:\TEST\NEWPATH\"
                wb.SaveCopyAs (NewPath & wb.Name)
                wb.Close 0
            End If
        Next wb
    Workbooks("File1.xls").Close 0
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub
I’ll write about fres variable later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It works but it is still quite slow (still about 20 minutes)
Using my little knowledge of vba I tried to insert modification in your vba code and it goes very fast (30 second) but it is very gross

Code:
Sub Massi_4()
Dim NewPath As String

For Each wb In Workbooks
                    Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(11).Copy
                         'ACTION ON FILE A, SHEET X'
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(11).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(22).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(22).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(33).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(33).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(44).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(44).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(55).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(55).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(66).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(66).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(77).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(77).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(88).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(88).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(99).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(99).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(110).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(110).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(121).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(121).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(132).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Column(132).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         'ACTION ON FILE A, SHEET Y'
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(11).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(11).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(22).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(22).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(33).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(33).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(44).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(44).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(55).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(55).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(66).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(66).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(77).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(77).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(88).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(88).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(99).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(99).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(110).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(110).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(121).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(121).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(132).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Column(132).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

'SAME THING FOR FILE B (AVOID TO INTRODUCE BECUASE TOO LONG)'   

End If

Next sh

wb.Close 0
            End If
        Next wb

End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry I haven't finished my message, here you can find the whole message (ignore the previous one)

It works but it is still quite slow (still about 20 minutes) :(
Using my little knowledge of vba I tried to insert a modification in your vba code - after several attempts - and it goes very fast (30 second) but it is very very gross
My sub obvisouly is not so precise as yours because it copy value in the whole columns indicated deleting formulas also where there isn't any link with File1, becuase my sub doesn't make any check as yours
Note: i have inserted just actions on columns of both Sheets of File A avoiding to add also code related with File B because in this case it should be too long
(I know also that it is quite risky considering that new columns could be added, a solution could be to add a specific word at the top of the columns and introduce an "if...then" to make a check and establish in which column make actions but it is something too complex, I could think to introduce it when I'll be better with VBA)

Code:
Sub Massi_5
Dim NewPath As String

For Each wb In Workbooks
                    Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(11).Copy
                         'ACTION ON FILE A, SHEET X'
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(11).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(22).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(22).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(33).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(33).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(44).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(44).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(55).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(55).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(66).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(66).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(77).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(77).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(88).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(88).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(99).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(99).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(110).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(110).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(121).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(121).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Columns(132).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet X").Column(132).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         'ACTION ON FILE A, SHEET Y'
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(11).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(11).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(22).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(22).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(33).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(33).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(44).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(44).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(55).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(55).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(66).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(66).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(77).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(77).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(88).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(88).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(99).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(99).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(110).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(110).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(121).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(121).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Columns(132).Copy
                         Workbooks("File A.xls").Sheets("Sheet Y").Column(132).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

'SAME THING FOR FILE B (AVOID TO INTRODUCE BECUASE TOO LONG)'  

End If

Next sh

wb.Close 0
            End If
        Next wb

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello, @Massi_921!
I made a couple of minor changes to your code, that should do it.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub Massi_5()
Dim NewPath As String
Dim wb As Workbook, sh As Worksheet
Dim lc As Integer, fc As Integer, i As Integer

For Each wb In Workbooks
                On Error Resume Next
                lc = sh.UsedRange.Column + sh.UsedRange.Columns.Count + 1
                fc = 11
                    For i = 11 To lc Step fc
                        With Workbooks(wb.Name).Worksheets(sh.Name)
                            .Columns(i).Copy
                            .Columns(i).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                        End With
                    Next i
            End If
        Next sh

wb.Close 0
    End If
Next wb

End Sub

Twenty minutes is certainly too much, so let's improve the code some more:
VBA Code:
Sub Massi_6()
Dim NewPath As String
Dim lc As Integer, fc As Integer, i As Integer
Dim str As String, fres As String

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
Application.EnableEvents = False

For Each wb In Workbooks
                On Error Resume Next
                lc = sh.UsedRange.Column + sh.UsedRange.Columns.Count + 1
                fc = 11
                For i = 11 To lc Step fc
                    str = "File1"
                    Set r = Nothing
                    Set r = sh.Columns(i).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
                    'Set c = r.Find(str, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart)    'excess
                    Set c = r.Find(str, LookAt:=xlPart)
                        If Not c Is Nothing Then
                            fres = c.Address
                            Do
                            c.Value = c.Value
                            Set c = r.Find(str, after:=c, LookAt:=xlPart)
                                If c Is Nothing Then Exit Do
                            Loop While c.Address <> fres
                        End If
                Next i
            End If
        Next sh

wb.Close 0
    End If
Next wb

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub
I hope it helps. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for your question about "fres", i wrote some strings of that part of code with detailed comments:
VBA Code:
Dim fres As String 'by this command we create variable with "fres" name and "string" type of data _
    (the name here means First RESult, i call variables often only by names i'm familiar with)

Set c = r.Find(str, LookAt:=xlPart) 'find the first cell which contains the search string ("File1" here) in "r" range
If Not c Is Nothing Then            'if find something, do our next code
    fres = c.Address                'assign that cell value into "fres" variable before our loop starts
    Do                              'repeat a block of statements while a condition Loop While becomes True
    c.Value = c.Value               'in this cell replace formula by value
    Set c = r.Find(str, after:=c, LookAt:=xlPart)   'find next cell contained the search string in "r" range
        If c Is Nothing Then Exit Do                'if we find nothing, exit loop
    Loop While c.Address <> fres                    'compare finded cell' address with the first one (fres), without this condition we can't avoid infinite loop
End If

Upvote 0
Hi @LazyBug ! :)
The code you wrote with the changes is perfect! It makes everything in 30 second :) :) :)
Thank you for all, you have been so kind and patient! Thanks also for having added comment about fres and in all codes written
I'll use your code also to start improving my vba knowledge because it is not so simple to learn it by books

Upvote 0
Hi, @Massi_921!
I'm not trying to be rude by any means, and, if it's not a big deal, please let me know how long subroutine Massi_6 (the second code from post #15) works out its task so that i could imagine the speed of it on large volumes of real data. In any case, thank you for your kind words, i'm happy i was able to help you. :)

Upvote 0
Hi @LazyBug sorry if my answer is not in line with your request but being italian sometimes I still have some problem to understand :) I hope to have understood right —> I think you are answering me a feedback about Massi_6

You are right, I did not specified it but I tried both code you wrote. The first one (made modifying my gross code it’s perfect), but my comment was about your code with the addition of correction I requested to you to make it faster. I am using it also considering the precision and the great job behind it from you. It is PERFECT, it takes about 2,5 minutes but it is just because of opening the file (quite heavy and long to open also manually). The action of break links and saving takes less than 30 seconds ?????? :)

Upvote 0
Ok, @Massi_921, I misread you last time, but I understand now.
Thank you again, have a good week!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back