Macro to copy row from one area of sheet to another

missfionaelizabeth

Hello! Long time lurker, and I've always been able to find my answers here. But try as I might, I just can't solve this one!!!

Basically, I have a sheet in which I need to enter learner details for learners booking onto a course. The sheet doubles as the signing in sheet (so the list can just be printed with no additional faffing necessary) so the data does not begin until row 16. Columns B:J contain the information I'll require.

So, sometimes people cancel, right? And sometimes, Business Admin can get a little ... sloppy. I don't want people to delete someone off the course without copying and pasting the booking into a section further down the spreadsheet (data starting on row 71, column B) and entering the cancellation date in case there is any dispute.

I have a button called 'Cancel Booking', and what I want to do is click on the appropriate row with the details of the person who is cancelling entered, click 'Cancel Booking' button, and then the macro to run and copy and paste the details in the Cancellations section starting in B71.

Paste from:
33vd8c1.jpg

To:
ja9ocj.jpg

(this is a very quick recreation of the sheet I did on my home OpenOffice - if there's anything else I can do to help make it more clear??)

So far I've got this to copy and paste the details further down, but if there is more than one cancellation rather than looking for the next empty row it pastes directly over the row 71 entry. Futher to this, it keeps beginning the paste in column A rather than B. I'm also having problems with my merged cells - sometimes it will say that 'this will only work with merged cells of identical sizes', but they're in the same column and all the same size?

Code:
Sub BookingCancellation()

Selection.Copy

Dim lastrow As Long

lastrow = Range("b71").End(xlUp).row

Cells(lastrow + 1, 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

End Sub

Is there anybody on this planet who can help me move this data further down my sheet, then have it look for the next empty row when the next cancellation comes along rather than overwriting?

--- also, is there anyway I can add Input Box so that a date could be entered into column H after the data is pasted?

I'm struggling quite a bit, and it doesn't help that I have Excel at work and OpenOffice at home so can't work on it outside of core hours.

I would be so grateful if anyone can give me any insight!!!!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
missfionaelizabeth,

I would suggest removing the merged columns which would mean your data would be in columns A:F. The below code will move the data (starting in column B). With this code you don't have to manually select the data you want to move, only be on the row you want to move.

Code:
Sub MoveData()
Dim r As Long
Dim lr As Long

r = ActiveCell.Row
lr = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(r, "B"), Cells(r, "F")).Copy Destination:=Range(Cells(lr+1, "B"), Cells(lr+1, "F"))
Range(Cells(r, "B"), Cells(r, "F")).ClearContents

End Sub

See if that gets you going in the right direction.

David

Upvote 0
This worked absolutely perfectly!! Thank you so much.

Quick question - and you don't have to answer because I can live without it - but is there anyway to get an InputBox to put data into a specfic cell? So the data is pasted into the available row, and then the input box will ask for a date to be inserted in the Date Cancelled column? Or is there a way for the date to automatically be filled in rather than complicating it with a manual input?

Thanks again, if you can help or not!

Upvote 0
Try this.

Code:
Sub MoveData()
Dim r As Long
Dim lr As Long
Dim tDate As String

r = ActiveCell.Row
lr = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(r, "B"), Cells(r, "F")).Copy Destination:=Range(Cells(lr + 1, "B"), Cells(lr + 1, "F"))
Range(Cells(r, "B"), Cells(r, "F")).ClearContents

tDate = InputBox("Enter the cancellation date.")
Cells(lr + 1, "G") = tDate

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back